Faculty of Science and Forestry
The Faculty of Science and Forestry is one of the four faculties at the University of Eastern Finland. We operate on two campuses, in Joensuu and in Kuopio. The faculty comprises four departments, two schools, and the infrastructural unit SIB Labs.
The mission of the Faculty of Science and Forestry is to provide education and conduct research in natural sciences and forestry which are of a high academic standard and have a strong impact on society.
The faculty educates specialists for the changing world of work in the future and also provides a comprehensive foundation for postgraduate education. Positions for doctoral students become available in the international research environments of our units through our multidisciplinary doctoral degree programmes. In the faculty, it is also possible to complete medical physicist specialisation studies in the form of professional postgraduate education. The faculty's international Master's Degree Programmes are attractive and inviting. The faculty's teaching is being developed through the use of new educational technologies.
Strategic research areas at the faculty
The Faculty of Science and Forestry is a key implementer of the strategy of the University of Eastern Finland in the following top-level international research areas:
- Aerosols, Climate Change and Human Health (Applied Physics, Environmental Science)
- Forests, Global Change and Bioeconomy (Forest Science, Biology)
Advanced-level strong research areas developed by the faculty in line with the strategy of the University of Eastern Finland include
- Photonics – Theory, Materials and Applications (Physics and Mathematics, Chemistry, Computer Science, Biology)
- Translational Cancer Research (Environmental Science)
- Musculoskeletal Disorders (Applied Physics, Physics and Mathematics)
The University of Eastern Finland has identified as emerging research areas in line with its strategy for 2015-2018
- Methods and Applications of Uncertainty Modelling (Applied Physics)
- Aquatic Research in Changing World (Biology, Environmental Science, Applied Physics)
The faculty has itself identified the forest-based bioeconomy as a promising emerging research area.
LUMET // NEWS
- Medfiles President and CEO Tuija Keinonen selected as UEF’s Alumna of the Year
- UEF appoints five senior university lecturers
- Lecture series in photonics showcases the latest practical applications
- UEF forest scientists win several IUFRO awards
- European Bioeconomy University develops top-level research and education
LUMET // EVENTS
- 14 Nov Open lecture on Photonics applications: Roman Bednarik: Eye-tracking technology and its applications, Joensuu
- 18 Nov Open lecture on Photonics applications: Samuli Siitonen, Nanocomp: Roll-to-roll manufacturing: e.g., back and front lighting for flat portable displays, Joensuu
- 18 Nov Open lecture on Photonics applications: Petri Stenberg, Dispelix: Photonics in augmented reality (AR), Joensuu
- 20 Nov Open lecture on Photonics applications: Mari Tenhunen, Timegate: PicoRaman spectrometer in life science, geoscience and other applications, Joensuu
- 26 Nov Dissertation, MSc Wenjuan Cui (Physical Chemistry), Joensuu
- 29 Nov Dissertation, MSc Maxim Trishkin (Forestry), Joensuu
- 3 Dec Dissertation, MSc Sandhya Kode (Computer Science), Joensuu