In 2024, a maximum of 20 students will be selected into the programme. The application period opens on 3 January 2024 and closes on 17 January 2024 at 15.00 (EEST). The applicants need to apply through the national Studyinfo portal at studyinfo.fi. Each applicant can only fill in and submit one application form in the joint application.
You can apply to the Master’s Programme for Research Chemists if you meet the following criteria:
- You have completed a bachelor's or master's degree in chemistry or chemical engineering corresponding to at least 3 years of full-time academic studies from an institution of higher education at an internationally recognized university in Finland or abroad. Alternatively, you should graduate during the spring semester and be able to deliver your final degree certificate by August 8, 2024, at the latest. An applicable degree from a recognized Finnish university of applied sciences is also accepted. Your degree should include a sufficient amount of chemistry laboratory courses.
- You have sufficient skills in English. Details of English language requirements are described below.
Applicants must either (1) meet the language proficiency criteria (see below), or (2) reach the minimum required language test results to be considered eligible to the University of Eastern Finland. No exceptions will be made and no waivers to the language proficiency requirements are given.
(1) Applicants who hold one of the following do not have to take an English language test
Previous education or higher education has been completed in English in EU/EEA -countries, the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand or in Switzerland. If the applicant has completed his/her studies in English in the above-mentioned countries, applicant must include the official statement of his/her’s educational institution that the medium of the instruction has been English.
Online studies or studies completed on offshore campuses outside the accepted countries/area cannot be used to indicate language skills, even if the degree-awarding institution is in one of the accepted countries.
(2) All other applicants have to take one of the following language tests
- TOEFL iBT, overall score 92, min. 22 in writing
- IELTS (academic) overall score 6.5, min. 6.0 in writing
- PTE (academic), overall score 62, min 54 in writing
- C1 Advanced overall score C or 180, with min. 162 in writing
- C2 Proficiency overall score level C1 or 180, with min. 162 in writing
- National Certificate of Language Proficiency YKI-test: level 5 in all different subtests (reading comprehension, writing and speaking). It is possible to combine different examinations.
If the result of the language test is below the required minimum, the application will not be considered for the admission.
No other degrees or statements of language proficiency will be accepted.
TOEFL, IELTS and PTE certificates are valid for two years from the day they are issued, i.e. the language test need to be in effect during the application period, from 3 January 2022 onwards.