The application period opens on 3.1.2024 and closes on 17.1.2024 at 15.00 (EEST). In 2024, a maximum of 20 students will be selected into the programme on the basis of their application documents.
A previous Bachelor's degree* corresponding to at least 3 year's of full time academic studies (equivalent of 180 ECTS credit units in the Finnish university system) from an institution for higher education is required from all Master's programme applicants. The degree must be awarded by an internationally recognized university. The degree should entitle the applicant to apply to master's studies in the country where the degree has been awarded.
*Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in physics, optics, photonics, physical and engineering sciences with an extensive physics basic education, or another discipline related to the program, entailing proficiency in physics and mathematics.
Admission is conditional if applicant applies to the programme with a degree that is not finished during the application period. It is required that the applicants deliver officially certified copies of the final degree certificate and the transcript of records to the programme coordinator by 9 August 2024.
The applicants should follow the guidelines given for the temporary (provisional) degree certificate and for official translations and country-specific requirements here.
Applicants must either (1) meet the language proficiency criteria (see below), or (2) reach the minimum required language test results to be considered eligible to the University of Eastern Finland. No exceptions will be made and no waivers to the language proficiency requirements are given.
(1) Applicants who hold one of the following do not have to take an English language test
- Previous education or higher education has been completed in English* in EU/EEA -countries, the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand or in Switzerland.
*If the applicant has completed his/her studies in English, applicant must include the official statement of his/her educational institution that the medium of the instruction has been English.
Online studies or studies completed on offshore campuses outside the accepted countries/area cannot be used to indicate language skills, even if the degree-awarding institution is in one of the accepted countries.
(2) All other applicants have to take one of the following language tests
- TOEFL iBT, overall score 92, min. 22 in writing
- IELTS (academic) overall score 6.5, min. 6.0 in writing
- PTE (academic), overall score 62, min 54 in writing
- C1 Advanced overall score C or 180, with min. 162 in writing
- C2 Proficiency overall score level C1 or 180, with min. 162 in writing
- National Certificate of Language Proficiency YKI-test: level 5 in all different subtests (reading comprehension, writing and speaking). It is possible to combine different examinations.
If the result of the language test is below the required minimum, the application will not be considered for the admission.
No other degrees or statements of language proficiency will be accepted.
TOEFL, IELTS and PTE certificates are valid for two years from the day they are issued, i.e. the language test need to be in effect during the application period, from 3 January 2022 onwards.
More information about submitting the language test reports:
All language test results must be submitted as instructed here.