The online application form must be filled in Studyinfo:
At the application state we require only scanned enclosures in electronic format as attachments to your application form. Paper copies are not required during the application period. Download your attachments to the application form in pdf/jpg/png -format. If you cannot upload your attachments online please contact the admissions office for further instructions, admissions(at)uef.fi. The attachments have to be submitted by 29 Jan 2020 at 3 pm (GMT+2) at the latest.
The compulsory enclosures are:
- Scanned copy of the original BSc degree certificate, and an English translation of it
- Scanned copy of the original transcript of academic records, and an English translation of it
- Scanned copy of English language test certificate (IELTS 6.5, TOEFL 92, PTE 62 or CAE/CPE pass level C)
- Two recommendation letters, use the template provided below
- Curriculum vitae. CV must be presented in chronological order, for example Europass format, and must not have gaps longer than 12 months during the recent five years.
- Scanned copy of passport
Furthermore, we require from the applicants that have been admitted to the University of Eastern Finland that they submit their original degree certificates for verification upon arrival in Finland. In order for you to have the necessary attestation or legalization done in time, we ask you to check the country specific requirements concerning the verification of the original educational documents. If the country your degree was given is not on the list, we require you to bring us the original documents for verification. Please prepare to submit your certificates to the university at the latest by 15 September 2020.
A successful applicant must have a Bachelor's degree, or an equivalent degree, in e.g. chemistry, biosciences/life sciences, biotechnology, forest sciences, suitable engineering studies, applied physics, bioeconomy or forest products marketing, corresponding to at least 3 years of full-time academic studies (equivalent of 180 ECTS credit units in the Finnish university system) obtained at an internationally recognized and accredited university or higher education institution.
If you have not yet received your official degree certificate, a temporary degree certificate is also accepted. In case you have not yet graduated, you may apply to the programme presuming that you will finish your studies by summer 2020. Instead of a degree certificate you must provide an estimated date of graduation and a recent transcript of records. If you will be accepted to the programme, it will be done on the condition that you submit an attested copy of your degree certificate to the programme coordinator by 7 August 2020.
For further information on required educational documents.
Applicants are required to have sufficient English language proficiency. The English language proficiency can be proved by:
- IELTS (Academic): overall 6.5 (min. 5.5 in writing), or
- TOEFL (ibT): 92 (min. 22 in writing), or
- PTE: 62, or C1 Advanced: pass level C, or
- C2 Proficiency: pass level C
The English language test is not required for applicants who
- have Bachelor's degree conducted in English language. A certificate from the university stating that the language of instruction during the Bachelor's studies has been English is required; or
- have secondary education conducted in English in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom or United States; or
- are Finnish citizens and have taken the matriculation examination in English language.
For further information on how to submit your language test results.
Recommendation letters must be written by academics from your previous or current university. They must arrive in sealed envelopes either enclosed in the application with the other documents OR sent directly to the University of Eastern Finland by the recommender. Please use the letter template below:
Recommendation letter template (PDF)
Recommendation letter template (Word)
Annually, only 20 students are selected to the programme. The student selection is based on academic performance, relevance of previous degree and motivation towards learning. Eligible applications will be evaluated according to the following selection criteria:
- Academic excellence
- Relevance of degree
- Prestige of the home university
- Motivation letter
- Other merits (work experience, international experience, publications, etc.)
Each criterion is evaluated numerically. Whenever two or more applicants have the same total score, the one who has higher score in academic excellence will be placed first.
The student selection results will be announced by 27 March 2020 by email to all the applicants. Acceptance letters will be sent by email to all the accepted students. The deadline for confirming the study place is 4 May 2020. The studies will begin on 1 September 2020.