Our admission process aims at fair selection of high-quality applicants. Anybody satisfying the admission requirements is eligible to apply.
Each applicant must meet the following criteria
1. B.Sc. degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Communications Engineering or equivalent degree in closely related field corresponding at least three years of full-time higher education academic studies.
- The degree should include enough studies in computer science completed at excellent levels. The basic prerequisites are: programming skills and knowledge about the theoretical foundations of computer science, data structures and algorithms, databases, and data management. Applicants lacking background in one or more of the mentioned skills can be selected as students only in exceptional cases.
- Conditional acceptance is possible if the applicant will finish the B.Sc. degree by August 7, 2020. Provisional B.Sc certificate is accepted if issuing of the final B.Sc certificate is delayed due to administrational reasons. Please remember to check the required documents (below) carefully before applying.
2. English language proficiency proved by a generally recognized test or by previous degree conducted in English language
- TOEFL iBT: 92, IELTS overall 6.5, PTE: 62, C1 Advanced: 180, C2 Proficiency: 180.
- Revised TOEFL Paper delivered test: minimum score of 20 in reading, and minimum score of 20 in listening, and minimum score of 22 in writing.
- TOEFL, IELTS and PTE certificates are valid for two years from the day they are issued and they have to be valid during the application period. Please, check the more detailed info about language requirements.
The English test is not required in the following cases:
- secondary education is conducted in Nordic Country (Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark or Iceland)
- applicant has Bachelor’s or Master’s degree conducted in English language
- English as foreign language is included in Bachelor’s or Master’s degree conducted in Nordic country (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden)
- the candidate has English as A1 language as part of International Baccalaureate examination with minimum grade 2
- the applicant has taken studies as exchange student at the UEF
- Official transcript of university records from the home university in English, or an officially certified translation of it.
- BSc. diploma or equivalent (OR a statement of expected graduation, if the BSc degree has not been completed yet, OR a provisional BSc certificate).
- Motivation letter.
- An introductory video file of an applicant uploaded into a video-streaming service such as youtube/vimeo/tudou. Link (URL) to the video has to be included into the application form. Maximum duration of a video is 2 minutes. The video should include introduction, educational background and possible merits of the applicant. The video must be reachable for evaluators during the whole period of evaluation: January 22, 2020 - March 27, 2020.
- Letter of recommendation from a local academic authority, preferably known to the UEF.
- Generally recognized English language test result OR a certificate stating language skills, if one of the specific conditions for language skills is fulfilled (mentioned at the language requirements).
- Passport copy/other document of identification.
- Optionally, an example of a link to own individual work in English (research paper, report, essay, art, literature review, documented software, and similar). This should be translated into English or Finnish.
The eligibility and authenticity of the educational certificates of all applicants is evaluated. This includes e.g. contacting the previous educational institutions and language test providers. Any malpractice will be reported to the universities and proper authorities.
All translations must be officially certified and accompanied by copies of the original documents. Each page of an official translation must bear the translator's stamp and/or signature. Official translations must be exact translations of the original documents.
Applications will not be considered unless the documents requested are in English. Incomplete applications will not be processed. The application is considered incomplete if it does not include all the necessary documents delivered by the application deadline.