Are you ready to take your next step towards a career in IT? The Master's Degree Programme in Information Technology (IMPIT) offers an international Master's degree in IT at European standards in two years.
We co-operate actively with local IT companies and local business incubator. The aim is that most students are employed by a Finnish ICT company when they graduate. Some of these companies offer internships and thesis placements and many of our students find a job even before the graduation.
It is also possible to concentrate on research, and students have good possibilities to continue in our PhD program, since students can join our research groups already during their MSc studies.
You can also have lots of interesting experiences through the social activities during your IMPIT studies. There are summer schools, visits to companies, and annual trips (to Lapland, Stockholm, St. Petersburg..) and various other events organized by student union and erasmus student network.
For instructions on how to apply and a direct link to the application form on Studyinfo, please scroll down. The application period is open until 18 January 2023.
- Level of degree: Master's degree
- Programme duration: 2 years / 120 ECTS credits
- Language of instruction: English
- Application period: 4.1.2023 - 18.1.2023
- Programme start: September 2023
- Tuition fee: EU/EEA nationals no tuition fee; non-EU/EEA nationals 8,000 €/academic year
- Tuition waivers available for everyone
- Study campus: Joensuu
Why study with us?
- High-quality education, internationally accepted diploma
- State-of-the-art learning and research environment
- Easy living in a safe but international environment
- Generous tuition fee waivers available
- Possibilities for exchange studies and internships at companies
- Very good employment perspectives
Impit curriculum allows students to graduate in two years. Students have to collect about 60 credits from direct teaching at the School of Computing during their first IMPIT year.
The second year of the programme is dedicated mostly to Master's project (10-20 ECTS) and thesis (30 ECTS). Students can also take some exchange studies and find trainee positions in IT companies or departments' research groups.
The curriculum for IMPIT students (120 ECTS) is designed personally for each student according to general requirements and courses available. The teaching is given in four periods and the courses are measured as European ECTS credit points (ECTS=European Credit Transfer System). In grading, we use the European 6-grade system.
- Personal Study Plan 1 ECTS
- University Study Skills 1 ECTS
- Finnish 1, 4 ECTS
ADVANCED LEVEL COMPUTER SCIENCE STUDIES, minimum of 94 ECTS
- IMPIT seminar 2 ECTS
- At least 12 ECTS out of the following courses
- Artificial Intelligence 6 ECTS
- Design and Analysis of Algorithms 6 ECTS
- Pattern Recognition 6 ECTS
- Research Methods in Computer Science 6 ECTS
- Software Engineering 6 ECTS
- Master's project in Computer Science or Practical Training in MSc (Computer Science) 10-20 ECTS
- Master Thesis and maturity exam, 30 ECTS
- Other advanced level courses in computer science to fulfill the minimum of 94 ECTS
OPTIONAL STUDIES 0-20 ECTS
- Optional studies can also include advanced level computer science courses
Total 120 ECTS
Full list of courses in computer science in WebOodi service.
Our graduates have excellent opportunities to continue postgraduate studies in one of our research groups.
- Computational Intelligence
- Computational Spectral Imaging
- Computational Speech Group
- Machine Learning
Technologies for learning and development
Representatives of companies visit our IMPIT seminar every year giving students an excellent possibility to pitch themselves to the companies.
Occupational titles of IMPIT graduates are for an example:
- Senior Software Engineer
- Quality Assurance Manager
- Senior Specialist
- Senior Software Consultant
- Business Analyst
- Senior Designer
- Chief Technical Officer
- IT developer
How to apply?
Our admission process aims at fair selection of high-quality applicants. Anybody satisfying the admission requirements is eligible to apply.
Each applicant must meet the following criteria
1. B.Sc. degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Communications Engineering or equivalent degree in closely related field corresponding at least three years of full-time higher education academic studies.
- The degree should include enough studies in computer science completed at excellent levels. The basic prerequisites are: programming skills and knowledge about the theoretical foundations of computer science, data structures and algorithms, databases, and data management. Applicants lacking background in one or more of the mentioned skills can be selected as students only in exceptional cases.
- Conditional acceptance is possible if the applicant will finish the B.Sc. degree by August 10, 2022. Provisional B.Sc certificate is accepted if issuing of the final B.Sc certificate is delayed due to administrational reasons. Please remember to check the required documents (below) carefully before applying.
2. English language proficiency proved by a generally recognized test or by previous degree conducted in English language
- TOEFL iBT: 92, IELTS overall 6.5, PTE: 62, C1 Advanced: 180, C2 Proficiency: 180.
- Revised TOEFL Paper delivered test: minimum score of 20 in reading, and minimum score of 20 in listening, and minimum score of 22 in writing.
- TOEFL, IELTS and PTE certificates are valid for two years from the day they are issued and they have to be valid during the application period.
The English test is not required in the following cases:
- secondary education is conducted in Nordic Country (Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark or Iceland)
- applicant has Bachelor’s or Master’s degree conducted in English language
- English as foreign language is included in Bachelor’s or Master’s degree conducted in Nordic country (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden)
- the candidate has English as A1 language as part of International Baccalaureate examination with minimum grade 2
- the applicant has taken studies as exchange student at the UEF
- Official transcript of university records from the home university in English, or an officially certified translation of it.
- BSc. diploma or equivalent (OR a statement of expected graduation, if the BSc degree has not been completed yet, OR a provisional BSc certificate).
- Motivation letter.
- An introductory video file of an applicant uploaded into a video-streaming service such as youtube/vimeo/tudou. Link (URL) to the video has to be included into the application form. Maximum duration of a video is 2 minutes. The video should include introduction, educational background and possible merits of the applicant. The video must be reachable for evaluators during the whole period of evaluation: January 19, 2023 - March 31, 2023.
- Letter of recommendation from a local academic authority, preferably known to the UEF.
- Generally recognized English language test result OR a certificate stating language skills, if one of the specific conditions for language skills is fulfilled (mentioned at the language requirements).
- Passport copy/other document of identification.
- Optionally, an example of a link to own individual work in English (research paper, report, essay, art, literature review, documented software, and similar). This should be translated into English or Finnish.
The eligibility and authenticity of the educational certificates of all applicants is evaluated. This includes e.g. contacting the previous educational institutions and language test providers. Any malpractice will be reported to the universities and proper authorities.
All translations must be officially certified and accompanied by copies of the original documents. Each page of an official translation must bear the translator's stamp and/or signature. Official translations must be exact translations of the original documents.
Applications will not be considered unless the documents requested are in English. Incomplete applications will not be processed. The application is considered incomplete if it does not include all the necessary documents delivered by the application deadline.
The application round is open January 4, 2023 - January 18, 2023 at 15:00 (GMT+2). Results will be published at latest on March 31, 2023.
- Make sure that you fulfill the admission requirements and have all the required documents (see accordion content above).
- Fill out the application form in Studyinfo system (link below) and scan the required documents to your application. Please note that the application form is accessible only during January 4 - January 18 at 15:00 (GMT+2).
- Submit your application in time. The online admission system will be closed on January 18 at 15:00 (GMT+2).
Paper documents are not required during the application period but admitted applicants must submit their original degree certificates for verification upon arrival in Finland.
Once you have filled out the online application, required enclosures must be uploaded electronically to the application (recommended file types pdf and jpeg, max. file size 10 MB) by January 18 at 15:00 (GMT+2). If you cannot upload your attachments online please contact the admissions office for further instructions, email@example.com. Read more about submitting documents and verification of documents.
There are also country-specific requirements. These requirements are applied on the admitted applicants' only, so during the application period we only require scanned copies of the original documents.
The merits of an applicant are evaluated on the basis of the sent documents, previous studies and grades, and possible interviews with the applicant. An evaluated motivation, fit for the programme, and a capability to study in a foreign environment will also be used as selection criteria. Valid applications will be ranked based on the aforementioned merits and on the experts' evaluation, with the following evaluation criteria:
- Academic grades of Computer Science or other relevant courses
- Prestige and level of the home university
- Relevant studies and other background
- Letter of recommendation
Points (0 – 5) are given to these five sections, and eligible applicants with best selection points will be selected to study in the programme.
Students who have been accepted will receive the certificate of admission as a pdf copy by email, as soon as the results are public. Studies will begin in the beginning of September 2022, with orientation programme. Rejected applicants will be informed by email. Please note that we won't be able to answer any queries related to your application status before we have the official decision, so please be patient, you will definitely hear from us in due course of time.
Admission results will be published at latest on March 31.
Students who are not citizens of EU/EEA countries are required to pay tuition. Annual tuition fee is 8000 EUR. All accepted students who are required to pay tuition fee, will receive 70% tuition fee waiver.
Please note that there will be no living cost allowance available for IMPIT students.
UEF will grant a Finland Scholarship for the best two applicants in each Master's degree programme. The scholarship includes a 100% tuition waiver and a € 5 000 relocation grant.
Learn more about studying at the UEF, our university and its campuses, and life in Finland!