Updating customer information
UEF Students and Staff
The contact information of students and staff at the University of Eastern Finland Library is updated from the university's databank. You do not need to report your new address separately to the library. Please note that in accordance with the University of Eastern Finland's outlining, the email address provided by the university is used for internal communication.
- Change your contact information at Peppi.
- Change your contact information at Mepco.
When you graduate, your employment with the university begins or ends, or your relation with the university changes in any way,
please contact us to update your customer information, as you sign in to UEF Primo is connected to your UEF username.
If needed, you can also end your customership by contacting us.
Contact the library by emailing email@example.com.
Use of material
Use of printed material
To borrow printed materials, you need a library card. To get a library card, register as our customer.
You must present a library card – digital or traditional – whenever you borrow or reserve printed material.
If your card is lost, please inform our customer service as soon as possible.
Logging in to our search service UEF Primo is possible after registering as our customer. When you are logged in, you can see your personal details, renew your loans, make reservations and access e-resources remotely. You can also save your data searches and favorites for later use.
Students and staff
- If you are a UEF degree or postgraduate students or UEF Open University students, register as a library customer using the Tuudo mobile app and get access to a digital library card.
- If you are a member of UEF staff, and your information can be found in Peppi, register as a library customer using the Tuudo mobile app and get access to a digital library card.
- If you are a member of UEF staff, but your information cannot be found in Peppi, register as a library customer by filling in the customer registration form for UEFians. You get access to a traditional library card. Your card will connect to your account in the Tuudo mobile app if you later use Tuudo, and will also serve as a digital library card.
- If you do not have a UEF username, fill a customer registration form for other customers.
- You will receive an email notification when the registration is complete. After receiving the email, you can log in to UEF Primo. When you log in for the first time, the password is your library card number.
- You can change your password by contacting library customer service. They will provide you with more detailed instructions on how to change your password.
- You can borrow books from all the campus libraries and the KUH Medical Library.
- Borrow the books with the self-check machines.
- E-materials are accessed on the library computers or via a remote access connection.
- Staff members can make a Material delivery for staff members agreement with the library, in which case the library borrows the reserved items and delivers them to the office at the university/KUH.
- Course books and KUH Medical Library's books have a loan period of two weeks. Other books have a loan period of four weeks. For e-books, the loan periods vary.
- You can read reading room copies within the library premises. The reading room copies can be borrowed overnight or for the weekend.
- The library sends a courtesy notice of an upcoming due date. You must always monitor the due dates of your loans! Even if you do not receive the courtesy notification, or if there is Internet downtime or technical difficulties, you are still obliged to pay the overdue fees.
- You can return the borrowed books to any of the UEF Libraries regardless of which UEF Library you borrowed them from.
- When the library is closed, you can return the books through the book drop hatches near the libraries' front doors on your own responsibility. The library staff will return the books on the next opening day. Payments will be accrued from overdue books until their processing.
- You can return books by mail at your own risk. Pack the books carefully and send the package from the Post Office. The library does not have a mobile phone number for arrival notices, so the package cannot be sent online. The post is distributed directly to the campus, where library staff will return the books no later than the next working day. The library does not pick up packages at the Post, R-kiosk or Matkahuolto pick-up points.
- Joensuu campus library, P. O. Box 107, FIN-80101 Joensuu, Finland
- Kuopio campus library, P. O. Box 1627, FIN-70211 Kuopio, Finland
- KUH medical library, P. O. Box 100, FIN-70029 KYS, Finland
- You can renew your loans in UEF Primo. For more information, go to Frequently asked questions about UEF Primo.
- If you are unable to renew a loan, it could be due to the following:
- The maximum loan period (600 days / legal deposit copies 300 days) for the book has been met.
- A reservation has been placed on the book.
- You have 10,00 € or more unpaid fees.
- Your customer information needs to be updated.
- If there are issues related to renewing, please contact the customer service.
- You can make reservations on all the UEF Libraries' both available and not currently available books on UEF Primo.
- Books available on shelves and travelling from one campus library to another have a delivery time of two working days.
- If a book has been borrowed or is located in another UEF campus library, the reservation is free of charge.
- Shelf fetch service fee for a book that is available at your own campus library is 2,00 €/book.
- Reserving books and using the shelf fetch service is free of charge for staff members.
- Reserved books must be collected within four working days of the notification. If you do not collect the reserved book, you will be charged a fee of 1,00 €/book. This applies also to staff members. A request on a book on the reservation shelf can only be cancelled by contacting the library via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pick up the book that you have reserved from the reservation shelf and borrow it. You can find the book on the shelf under your requester ID.
- If there are issues related to reserving, please contact customer service.
- Please note that you cannot place your reservation in a specific book, but the system primarily chooses a book that is located at the pick-up library and has a loan period of two weeks. If such book is not available, the reservation transfers to a book that has a loan period of four weeks. If the book is not available at all at the pick-up library, the reservation will transfer to the books of another library office.
- Reading room copies are borrowed only overnight or for the weekend.
- You can borrow an overnight loan from customer service two hours before closing the library on weekdays and four hours before closing the library on weekends. The loan period is overnight until 10.00 on the next working morning.
- Reserve a reading room copy online:
- Borrow the book at the customer service.
- Return the book to the same campus library from where you borrowed it.
- Legal deposit copies requested for reading room use cannot be borrowed outside the library.
- If a reading room copy is not returned on time:
- The overdue fee is 2,50 €/book/day, max 15,00 €/book. This does not apply to staff members.
An overnight and weekend loan block that lasts for four months will be placed on the customer. This applies also to staff members.
- Unreturned reading room copies will be invoiced on the fourth day from the due date.
- Pay your fees at the campus libraries' customer service by debit or credit card (not at KUH Medical Library) or online (UEF Primo, My account).
- Overdue fee 0,50 €/item/working day will begin to accumulate immediately after the due date, maximum overdue fee is 10,00 €/item.
- For reading room loans, the overdue fee is 2,50 €/item/working day, maximum fee is 15,00 €/item.
- Overdue fees are not charged from staff members. However, if loans are overdue for 28 days or more, a loan block will become effective.
- The library sends a courtesy notice of an upcoming due date.
- The first overdue notification will be sent on the following working day after the due date, and the second overdue notification will be sent 14 days after the due date.
- Keep an eye out for the due dates of your loans! Not receiving a notification, Internet blackouts or technical issues do not relieve you of paying any overdue fees. A loan block will become effective, after 28 days of the due date, or if your accumulated fees amount to 10,00 € or more.
- The library will invoice overdue loans and unpaid fees. Unpaid invoices will be transferred to debt collection agency.
Compensating for books
Please contact the library first to discuss the matter.
You can compensate for lost or damaged books in three different ways:
- Bring the same or newer edition of the lost/damaged item for replacement. In addition, we charge 5,00 € of processing costs.
- Pay the minimum compensation fee of 50,00 € / book at the library's customer service desk. The fee consists of material compensation price 40,00 € and acquisition and processing costs 10,00 €. Items that are more expensive than 40 € must be compensated with the actual acquisition price.
- When you compensate for the item with invoice payment, the minimum compensation fee is 66,00 €. The fee consists of material compensation price 40,00 € / book, acquisition and processing costs 10,00 € / book, processing costs caused to the library by the invoicing process 11,00 € / invoice and university's financial services' invoicing fee 5,00 / invoice. Items that are more expensive than 40 € must be compensated with the actual acquisition price.
Login to UEF Primo and choose Fine+Fees section under My Account to see the fees on your account.
Online you can pay only overdue fees, reservation fees and fines for uncollected reservations. Online payment is possible with all the Finnish online bank services and payment cards (VISA, VISA Electron, MasterCard).
Before you pay online, please note that:
- You cannot change the amount you pay; you must pay the whole amount of fees.
- The minimum sum you can pay is 1,00 €.
- If you have fees that cannot be paid online, contact the library's customer service.
- Online payment is not possible during a service break.
Click the Pay Online button.
Please be sure to return back to UEF Primo (Return to seller's service) after you have made the payment, so that it will be registered to the library system without delay.
Remote access to electronic resources
When you have a UEF-username or are a member of KUH staff, you can access the electronic resources remotely in accordance with the remote access instructions.
Use of electronic resources in the library
You can access electronic resources at the library using our customer computers:
- UEF students and staff log in with UEF username and password
- other customers can get visitor-uef login credentials
Open access resources are available everywhere.
- We will forward copies of e-journals and non-loanable reading room material if the contracting, licensing and other contractual terms of the works allow.
- Requests can be made by a article request form or at the customer service.
- For UEF staff students, we provide copies as PDF, the cost of the service is 4.00 €/shipment.
- For university departments, KYS departments and clinics, we provide copies in PDF, the cost of the service is €3.00 per shipment.
- For other customers we provide paper copies, the price of the service is 0.60 €/copied page.
- If a journal article is not available in our library collections, you can subscribe to the article as an interlibrary loan copy.
Do you need a book or an article that cannot be found from the University of Eastern Finland Library’s collections? We can request it for you from somewhere else!
We can request the book for loan. The lending library (the library that sends the book to us) defines the loan period and whether or not you are allowed to take the book home or if it is only available for reading room use.
We order articles as article copies that you can keep.
Usually you cannot borrow journals.
Ordering and delivery
After your order arrives it will be processed as quickly as possible, on the next working day at the latest. The delivery time of interlibrary loans and articles is about one week depending, e.g. on the procedures of the lending library, availability of the material, postal service and how the article copies are sent. We will notify you if the delivery of your order will be delayed. You will receive a notification when you can collect the material from the library. You must pay the interlibrary service fees when you collect the material. If you are a staff member of UEF or KUH and the department will pay for your order, you can request us to send the material via internal post to the department/clinic/office. You will receive articles as paper copies.
Loan periods and returning
The lending library determines the loan periods and whether it is possible to renew the loan.
Usually the loan period is 2-4 weeks. If it is possible to renew the loan, the library will renew your loan automatically. If it is not possible to renew it, the library will send a request to return the loan. Overdue fees are not charged for interlibrary loans.
Return the interlibrary loans to the customer services of the University of Eastern Finland Library. Any unreturned or damaged material will be charged according to the fees determined by the lending library.
Interlibrary loans cannot be seen in the UEF Primo.
Frequently asked questions about interlibrary services for private customers
Our university library’s extensive multidisciplinary collections are at your disposal!
During the semesters, course books are available for interlibrary loan only for the UEF students and UEF Open University students. The customer’s UEF student status must be mentioned in the order.
Other lendable books are available for interlibrary loan for all customers. Reading room copies and the material in the special collections are not available for interlibrary loan.
Department libraries’ books are not available for interlibrary loan. Exception to this rule are the books at the department library of the School of Computing at the Kuopio Campus and in exceptional cases the books in the
clinic libraries at the KUH.
Theses before the year 2012 from Joensuu Campus Library are available for interlibrary loan as microfiches, and only for reading room use. In a relative manner, theses from Kuopio Campus Library are in print format and available for borrowing or for reading room use. After the year 2012 theses have only been published in electronic form. Some of the theses are only available for use in the facilities of the University of Eastern Finland Library.
We do not borrow journals but we will supply article copies.
The service is subject to a charge. The fees are based on the effective list of service fees of the University of Eastern Finland. The borrowing library will charge their customers as according to their own list of service fees. Libraries will be invoiced four times a year.
The order will be send by 2nd class mail. The loan period for course books is 14 days and 28 days for other books. Libraries can follow and renew their loans in the UEF Primo. However, the loans will be renewed automatically if it is possible to renew them. A request to return the interlibrary loan is sent only when it is no longer possible to renew it.
No overdue fees are collected from libraries and the loan block does not apply to them. Any unreturned items will be invoiced according to the UEF Library’s list of service fees.
Article copies will be supplied as PDF files to be printed on paper before passing on to the customer. Article copies on e-journals will be supplied if the licensing agreement allows it. Electronic distribution and retention of PDF files is not permitted.
You must make a separate order for each book or article either with a interlibrary loan request form or by email. In the order you must give information on the ordered material and, in addition, the library’s delivery address, Melinda code or National Repository Library’s customer number and the invoicing address if it differs from the delivery address.
If requested, a reservation can be placed on a book for the borrowing library. Libraries cannot make reservations by themselves.
Terms of order
The order is binding.
At the latest the order will be processed on the next working day after its arrival. The requested material will be dispatched at the
latest on the second working day after the arrival of the order. We follow the interlibrary loan services’ national and international
principles and guidelines: economic efficiency, precision, speed.
Frequently asked questions about interlibrary services for libraries
Legal deposit copies You can place a request on the legal deposit copies or ask for availability by filling in the Deposit copy request form.
Delivery time of legal deposit copies is 2–7 days. A legal deposit copy is for you to use within the library's facilities as a reading room loan.
Legal deposit working stations
The library has digital materials that are accessed via separate working stations:
- Finnish e-materials
- Radio and TV archives
- Electronic legal deposit copies
- Digitised newspapers and journals
Storage requests from the Joensuu and Kuopio campus library storages
- Information on material can be found in UEF Primo.
- Place a request in UEF Primo, with a storage request form or at the customer service.
Library premises and devices
The library provides facilities for silent studying and group working, accompanied with common rooms for leisure. Our wish is that you, as a customer, take others also into consideration and contribute to everyone's working peace and comfort.
For Easy Access, the library provides electronically adjustable working stations. Customers with a reading disability can join the Celia special library at their own campus library.
University of Eastern Finland Library has declared itself a Discrimination-free zone. We welcome all people to the library and commit to treating all customers and staff members equally. More information about the campaign.
Free-use group work rooms
In the Joensuu campus library's third floor's halls 3A and 3B there are group work rooms for students. The Rooms can be used when they are free. There is no booking for these rooms.
Work rooms you can book from Oppari
In the Joensuu campus library's second floor there are group work rooms for students. You can book them via Oppari.
Joensuu Campus Library has Sound Zones to help customers identify suitable working areas.
- Talking and calls are not allowed
- Using a computer is allowed, use headphones
- Quiet talking is allowed, take others into consideration
- Calls are not allowed
- Using a computer allowed, use headphones
- Talking, using a computer, and calls are allowed
The library has one bookable workroom, primarily intended for users of RTVA material and archival material. While the room is vacant, it can also be used by other customers. The room can be booked in advance by contacting the library at email@example.com
Kuopio University Hospital Medical Library is a joint library of the Pohjois-Savo hospital district and the UEF.
Group study rooms
Students book the group study spaces for three hours/day/person KUH Medical Library (room-kuo-KYS_ryhmis1, room-kuo-KYS_ryhmis2 and room-kuo-KYS_ryhmis3) using their O365 Outlook calendar and the hospital staff can contact the customer services. If the user does not arrive within 15 minutes from the beginning of the reservation, the space is available for others.
Joensuu and Kuopio Campus Libraries have self-study facilities available 24/7 with an access badge. In the facilities, you can use the library self-check machines for borrowing and returning, multifunction printers for printing, copying and scanning and work on computers.
You can apply the badge by using this online form (requires login with UEF username and password). You will be notified by email when the access badge can be retrieved from key services or the permissions on an existing badge have been updated. You can find more information on self-study facilities and the access badge on Kamu. The access badges are managed by Facilities Management’s Key Services.
Please note that the meeting and teamwork rooms in Snellmania building’s lower lobby in Kuopio are not 24/7 spaces, and students can’t reserve them. The facilities are available until 6pm on weekdays when there are no meeting reservations.
Safety Instructions for Library 24/7 Access Badge Holder
You need to leave the library premises when the library is closed so that you can access the premises again with your access badge. During the waiting period, which is half an hour after closing time, the library is emptied of customers.
You can access the space through the building's entrance door every day from 7am to 11 pm. The doors of the library remain closed for safety reasons half an hour after the library closes. Otherwise, the library door is available 24/7.
On library closing days, you can access the space with the access badge from 7am–11pm. The library door will then be available to you 24/7. Any exceptions to the opening hours of the 24/7 premises will be notified separately, so please follow the information.
The access badge door is entered by one customer at a time between the security gates. The door does not necessarily have to lock in between customers. Once the first customer has opened the door, other access badge holders can use their identifiers on the reader in which case their entrance to the space is registered as well. Make sure that the access badge reader has registered your entrance.
The access badge is personal: you are not permitted to allow others to enter the premises with your access badge. You are not allowed to enter as a group with one access badge and you are not allowed to give your access badge to anyone else. The access badge holder is liable to pay damages.
Familiarise yourself with the emergency exits and their locations in advance. In case of an emergency, call 112. Take care of your personal belongings and keep the 24/7 space clean and tidy for your part.
The security guard patrolling in the space has the right to verify the access badge and identity of anyone within the premises. There is a recording camera surveillance in the space. Any breach of the Commitment agreement will always automatically result in termination of the access rights.
Follow the news and notices on the use of the space in the UEF 24/7 Kirjasto | Library Yammer group, from the library’s home page and within the library’s premises.
If you have problems with the access badge door, please contact the security services. Their phone numbers are on the doors of the library.
Obtaining the access badge requires the approval of Commitment agreement for use of self-study facilities.
Within the library facilities, there are computers, printers, copying machines, scanners, quick printing points and microcard readers for our customers to use.
Common rules for the computer area
- Take care of your belongings. Make also sure that your belongings don't take over working space from others. The library is not responsible for things you leave behind at the working space.
- You may leave a computer workstation for a maximum of 15 minutes. If you have been away for longer than 15 minutes, another user is authorised to take your place and move your belongings aside
- Save your work! Library is not responsible for lost data.
- Phone calls should be taken care of elsewhere in order not to disturb others.
- Keep the working spaces tidy and clean up afterwards.
The Joensuu and Kuopio campus libraries have Optima IT Device Lending Machines, which are managed by Oppari. You can borrow laptops from the machines. In Kuopio, an IT Device Lending Machine can also be found in Oppari. The devices are intended for short-term use, for up to four hours at a time. Instructions for using IT Device Lending Machines can be found in Kamu.
- In Joensuu and Kuopio Oppari and UEF Digital Services.
- UEF Digital Services has a Chat service Mon–Fri 9.00–15.00.
Instruction for printing and copying
Tools for students are presented in Kamu
Students and staff members
- Computers for customer use: log in using your UEF username and password.
KUH Medical Library
- Computers with UEF network: log in using your UEF username and password.
- Signified computers for customers use can be used with PSSHP username and password.
- You can get visitor-uef login credentials for computers at the customer service at the Kuopio Campus Library and KUH Medical Library, along with Oppari at Joensuu Campus Library by presenting photograph identification.
You can access the wireless uef-open network without credentials.
Availability and accessibility
The library staff is ready to assist you in using the collections. If needed, you can contact us beforehand by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Joensuu Campus Library
On campus, there are several parking spaces for persons with disabilities. Joensuu Campus Library is located inside the Carelia building and is entered through the exterior doors E and A. When the library is closed, the 24/7 self-service facility is available with an access badge through F door. There are disabled access ramps at the doors. The E door is accessible, other exterior doors are not. The library has three floors and an elevator can be used to access them. The tables of self-lending machines and single tables at different floors are adjustable electric tables.
Kuopio Campus Library
On campus, there are several parking spaces for persons with disabilities. Kuopio Campus Library is located inside the Snellmania Building and is accessible from the A door (main door) of the Snellmania building. Inside the lobby, there is a door opening button on the library door at the foot of the staircase. The 24/7 self-study facilities available with an access badge are also accessible from the above doors. The tables of self-lending machines and tables in the computer area are adjustable electric tables.
KUH Medical Library
At the hospital, there are several parking spaces for persons with disabilities. KUH Medical Library is located in the main lobby of Kuopio University Hospital, Puijo and is accessible from the hospital's main door A. Inside the lobby, at the library door, there is a door opening button.
Celia, the national center for accessible literature and publishing in Finland Special Library
Celia provides course books in accessible formats for print-disabled students. You can register as Celia's customer at your own Campus Library by reaching the local Celia contact person beforehand.
- Kuopio: Information Services Advisor Tero Heiskanen email@example.com
- Joensuu: Information Services Advisor Salla Holm firstname.lastname@example.org
Student handbook UEF Kamu provides information on accessible studies and individual study arrangements.
Get to know your library
- Tutors can book an introductory library tours to their own group.
- Group size max. 15 persons.
- The tour lasts about 30 minutes.
For the international students, the library tours are organised in cooperation with the International Mobility Services.
Watch a short virtual tour of Joensuu Campus Library. Here is an accessible version of the tour.
Watch a short virtual tour of Kuopio Campus Library. Here is an accessible version of the tour.
- Library tours can also be organised on a separate agreement.
- A library tours are booked from the customer services.
If you have questions about loans or fees, please contact email@example.com.
If you have questions about interlibrary services, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org