Application and documents
In order to check the eligibility of an applicant for the programme, the applicant has to submit an application and the following application documents:
- Certification of completed secondary education degree
- Certification of English language skills
Secondary education certification
Eligible applicants hold an upper-secondary education certificate:
- Finnish matriculation examination
- International Baccalaureate degree (IB) - European Baccalaureate degree (EB)
- Deutsches Internationales Abitur degree (DIA) or Reifeprüfung degree (RP) in Finland
- A Finnish vocational upper-secondary qualification, further vocational qualification, or specialist vocational qualification as set in the Vocational Education Act (531/2017)
- Any other comparable upper-secondary educational qualification that provides eligibility for University-level Bachelor’s studies in the country in question.
- Advanced International Certificate of Education degree (AICE) in Finland, or the right to study towards a university degree in Finland, or a degree conferred by a Finnish higher education institution, or at least a Bachelor-level degree conferred by a foreign institution.
Applicants who are in the final semester of their upper-secondary education are also eligible to apply.
Applicants must either (1) meet the language proficiency criteria (see below), or (2) reach the minimum required language test results to be considered eligible for the University of Eastern Finland. No exceptions will be made.
(1) Applicants who hold one of the following do not have to take an English language test:
- Secondary education or tertiary education in English in Australia, Canada, Great Britain, Ireland, New Zealand, or the United States
- Finnish matriculation examination in English language, minimum grade of magna cum laude approbatur (M)
- International Baccalaureate degree (diploma completed in English, satisfactory completion of A level English exam (literature / language and literature / literature and performance), satisfactory completion of B level English exam, minimum grade of 5 (good)
- EB degree:
L1, mother tongue (English) completed successfully.
L2 or L3 language (English) completed with a minimum score of 7.
- Reifeprüfung (RP) degree (German School of Helsinki), with satisfactory completion of English A (or a similar expected grade from an upcoming DIA degree)
Written scores are at a satisfactory level.
Oral score is a minimum of 8.
The language of instruction in secondary education must be proven with the degree certificate, diploma, or transcript. Please note that all teaching and assessments must be entirely in English. Online studies or studies completed on offshore campuses outside the accepted countries/area cannot be used to indicate language skills, even if the degree-awarding institution is in one of the accepted countries.
(2) All other applicants have to take one of the following language tests:
- TOEFL: minimum score 78 (IBT test)
- IELTS (academic) test, minimum score 6.0
- PTE (academic) test, minimum score 54
- C1 Advanced score C
- C2 Proficiency, minimum score Level C1
- National Certificate of Language Proficiency (YKI) (English) of the Finnish National Agency for Education, done at level 4 in all different areas
- TOEFL iBT Home Edition
- TOEFL Essentials
Some test organisers give an expiration date on the tests. The language test results must be verifiable from the online verification service of the organiser. Language test scores are valid for two years from the day they are issued.