You should hold at least a Bachelor 's or equivalent degree in an applicable field to be eligible to apply. Applicable fields include public health, medicine, dentistry and nutrition. Pharmacy, psychology, nursing, midwifery, veterinary medicine, environmental sciences, applied engineering when it links to health, as well as applicable social sciences may also be considered eligible fields. A Bachelor's degree corresponds to at least three years fulltime academic studies (equivalent to 180 ECTS credit units in the Finnish university system) and the degree should have been obtained at an internationally recognized and accredited science university or equivalent higher education institution. This does not include Bachelor's degrees from Universities of applied sciences or Polytechnics (such as Finnish amk-degrees). You can apply if you are due to complete your Bachelor's degree by July 2022.
Applicants must demonstrate excellent skills of English language. English language proficiency can be proven with official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), International English Language Testing Service (IELTS), CAE/CPE (Cambridge Advanced/Proficiency Examination) Pearson Test of English (PTE) test score report or National Certificate of Language Proficiency (YKI) -test:
· IELTS (Academic): overall 6.5 (min. 6.0 in writing)
· TOEFL iBT: 92 (min. 22 in writing) **
· PTE (Pearson Test of English, academic): 62 and 54 in writing
· Cambridge English Qualification:
C1 Advanced (Certificate of Advanced English) overall score of 180 with min 162 in writing
C2 Proficiency (Certificate of Proficiency in English) overall score of 180 with min 162 in writing
**TOEFL code of the University of Eastern Finland is 9779.
Online studies or studies completed on offshore campuses outside the accepted countries cannot be used to indicate language skills, even if the degree-awarding institution is located in one of the accepted countries. He/she can only indicate the language skills with an incomplete degree if he/she is applying for the studies with the same degree.
The language test certificates are valid for two years from the day they are issued and they have to be valid during the application period. If the result of the language test is below the required minimum, the application will not be considered for the admission. No other means for proving language proficiency than the ones listed in the admission requirements will be accepted. No waivers to the language proficiency requirements are given.
Applicants will be exempt from submitting the official language proficiency test if:
· Passed English exam in Matriculation Examination in Finland
· English as A1 language as part of International Baccalaureate examination
· Bachelor's, Master's or Doctoral degree was conducted in English language in EU/EEA country* or in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom or United States
· Bachelor's, Master's or Doctoral degree was conducted in English language in our cooperation universities University of Ghana or KNUST (Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology) in Ghana.
· Exchange studies (at least 20 ECTS) completed in English in the University of Eastern Finland
* EU countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden. EEA countries: Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.
Letter of motivation
The Letter of Motivation (maximum 500 words) is a self-produced, independent text describing your readiness and motivation for the programme. You are expected to explain why you should be selected for the programme and how your previous education supports the Master's studies.
Prior research experience and near future research plans
Have you worked or assisted in research projects? Have you (co)authored a research publication? If yes, give the publication details. What are your future research interests and plans? (maximum 1000 words).