Citizens of EU/EEA countries and Switzerland
This programme is offered free of charge for the citizens of EU/EEA countries and Switzerland
- EU countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany. Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom, Gibraltar.
- EEA countries: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway.
Citizens of other countries
For students who are not citizens of EU/EEA countries or Switzerland, the annual tuition fee for the academic years 2021-2023 is 8000 €. In 2021, all new students receive a scholarship covering 70 % of the tuition fee.
Students are exempted from paying tuition fees if they have one of the following documents:
- Passport or identity card to indicate the citizenship of EU/EEA/Switzerland
- EU Blue Card in Finland
- Continuos residence permit card in Finland, Type A
- EU Family Member's Residence Card in Finland
- Permanent residence permit card in Finland, Type P permit
- EU residence permit for third-country citizens with long-term residence permit card in Finland (Type P-EU)
Tuition fees cover the studies included in the degree (120 ECTS), as well as studies-related academic supervision and counseling. They also cover supporting services offered by the university; assistance in applying for student accommodation, orientation programme, tutoring, access to IT services, wireless internet access on campus, computer classrooms available 24/7 and library services.
The annual fee is paid in two equal instalments for an academic year. The due dates for the first academic year are 14 June 2021 and 30 November 2021 and for the second academic year 31 July 2022 and 30 November 2022. Students will be sent an invoice for each instalment with more specific payment details. Each instalment has to be completely paid until the concerning due date.
Other mandatory fees for all degree students regardless of their country of origin
All degree students of the university are members of the Student Union. The Student Union membership fee is 100 € per academic year.
The Student Union membership fee entitles the student to, for example:
- free basic health care
- reduced lunch prices at student cafeterias
- discounts on local buses and long-distance transportation
- discounts on many public services and free-time activities.
Further information is available on the website of the Student Union
All students should be also able to cover all the other expenses related to their studying in Finland (500-800 EUR/month, depending on individual spending habits).
The UEF does not offer selected students any additional funding, financial aid or working opportunities. Therefore, students must be able to cover all their own living costs in Finland independently. Finding any other funding opportunities is also the responsibility of the students himself/herself. One's own finances are one of the requirements for the Finnish residence permit, and finances need to be available permanently on a student's bank account for the whole period the permit is applicable. Completely financing one's stay and studies in Finland by working is not possible, though part-time work may be available.
For more information about the residence permit, please see the Finnish Immigration Service's website.