Students with suitable background education and a MSc or licenciate degree can be accepted as PhD students in the programme (need for supplementary studies will be assessed on a case-by-case basis).
In nursing science, only students, who have performed advanced studies in the discipline of nursing science, can be accepted as PhD students. In addition, the amount and quality of intermediate and advanced studies in research methodology (quantitative and qualitative methods, statistics) or otherwise proven methodological skills are taken into account in the selection process.
The skills of eligible applicants to any of the doctoral programmes provided by the Faculty of Health Sciences and their commitment to a successful completion of their doctoral studies are assessed according to the following joint criteria, which constitute the admission criteria of the programme:
- the innovativeness, scientific and practical importance of the research subject and its suitability to the research profile of the research site and the doctoral programme
- quality, clarity and feasibility of the research plan
- the applicant's evidence of previous research work, e.g. working as a researcher, scientific publications
- research funding
- success in MSc studies or corresponding studies
- the language skills required for the studies
The adequacy of supervision, the expertise and commitment of supervisors are also taken into account in the selection process. Applicant's ability, motivation and commitment to doctoral studies can also be assessed through interviews.
Following documents should be attached to the application:
- Research plan, approved by supervisors and the person in charge of the subject
- Copy of the basic university degree certificate and a transcript of earlier academic records. In case applicant’s MSc, or equivalent, degree is not completed the applicant should submit a transcript of academic records and a personal study plan for completing the remaining studies of that degree as well as state the estimated time of master’s graduation in the application form.
- CV, including the list of publications if any.