Open University: Intermediate Studies in English Language and Culture, contact teaching, Joensuu, academic year 2023-2024
- 30 ECTS credits
- Continuous learning category:
- Languages and communication
- Teaching format:
- Contact teaching
- 450 € (VAT 0%)
Application time: August 1. from 9:00 a.m. to 16 August 2023 at 15:00 p.m.
A maximum of five Open University students are admitted to the English language subject studies in order of registration. In order to be accepted for the subject studies, the student must have completed basic English language studies (at least 25 credits). The applicant registers by email from August 1. at 9:00 a.m. to 16 August 2023 at 15:00 p.m. to the address email@example.com. As an attachment, a certificate or transcript of records of completed basic studies in English language is required as follows:
- the scope of basic studies
- date of completion
- information on the courses included in the basic studies. A list of individual courses with grades is not a module for the purposes of the admission criteria.
You may also send the application form to the University of Eastern Finland, Departmental Secretary Tuula Nissinen, P.O. Box 111, 80101 Joensuu, Finland, or to Yliopistokatu 4, Agora, Room 138.
The result of the selection will be notified by email to the email provided by the applicant no later than September 4, 2023.
Please note, the study right at an open university does not give you an official student status.
After completing basic and intermediate studies in English, students have the following academic and professional skills:
They have the following academic and professional skills:
i) Academic skills:
- They are aware of several research trends in the study of language and culture
- They can plan, implement and report a small-scale scientific study
- They master the basic principles of information retrieval and can evaluate knowledge critically
- They are aware of ethical questions related to research
- They know the basic principles related to academic communication in their field of research.
ii) Professional skills
- They realize the role of theoretical knowledge in the teaching profession or in other tasks that require language expertise
- They can make observations concerning the use, variation and change in the English language
- They recognize Anglophone cultural phenomena in their contexts
- They master general academic and work life skills (e.g group work, language and communication skills, information retrieval skills and IT skills).
Those interested in the English language and culture, those applying to study English language and culture and teachers interested in the English language and culture and who need/want a new subject to be taught (requires basic and subject studies).
Enrollment is done for individual study courses in the study package after obtaining the right to study (payment links from the training secretary).
The price of individual courses is €15/credit. The prices are valid for the academic year 2023-2024.
For more information on study fees and payment and cancellation terms, please see: Registration, study fees and right to study | University of Eastern Finland (uef.fi).
The length of a study right is determined by the length of the study unit so that it covers all teaching and exams. If the study unit has continuous registration, the study right is from 1.8.2023 to 30.7.2024.
If the employer pays the tuition fee, contact us; see contact information below.
Literature acquisition costs / borrowing fees are not included.
Day time teaching
Students of the Open University complete their studies in accordance with the schedules and performance methods of degree students. You can find the timetables of the study periods in the Peppi guide (NOTE. opens in a new tab).
For more information in English, please contact Sari Tarvainen (firstname.lastname@example.org).