Mining, Society and Sustainability I, spring 2024
- 15.1.2024 - 29.2.2024
- 3 ECTS credits
- Continuous learning category:
- Law and society, Environmental and natural sciences
- Teaching format:
- Independent learning, Online teaching
- 45 € (VAT 0%)
Contents: The course will provide for the students both practical information and theoretical understanding on approaches concerning mining, society and environment relations. The course includes themes such as dimensions of responsible and sustainable mining; mining governance and regulation; community engagement and development in relation to mining; social impacts of mining, local mining conflicts and protest movements, mining policies globally and nationally, corporate social responsibility policies of mining companies, urban mining.
Learning outcomes: After completing the course the student:
- has capacities to understand various dimensions of mining - society - environment relations
- can evaluate the features of responsible and sustainable mining activities, mining geopolitics, local mining conflicts and related policies, stakeholders and governance tools
- understands the contents and features of social impacts and community development in relation to mining industry
- has skills to analyze these questions from social-scientific approaches
Target group: The course is open to everyone interested in environmental policy and geography.
Modes of study: The course is an online course. Completing the course requires passing the assignments given during the course. The assignments are related to the different sections of the course and are completed independently.
Teaching methods: Online studies on DigiCampus study platform.
Teacher: Rauno Sairinen
This course is available online from Jan 15th to Feb 29th, 2024. More information, the description and timelines of the course can be found from the Peppi study guide. In their studies, open university students must adhere to the same schedules and study modes as degree students.
Study units cost 15 € / credit. This price holds for the academic year 2023–2024.
For more information on study fees and payment and cancellation terms, please see: Registration, study fees and right to study | University of Eastern Finland (uef.fi). Study right is between Sep 1st, 2023 and July 31st, 2023.
Fees for purchasing/lending literature are not covered by the University.
If you can’t identify yourself using the Suomi.fi service or your employer would pay your tuition fee, please contact our training secretary; their contact information is below.
English-language courses are free for the 2023-2024 academic year for those with the status of temporary protection from Migri. See more on studying at UEF and registration for the course while under temporary protection here:
Irrespective of time