The Finnish universities’ operating environment is constantly changing. From the university’s leadership and staff members, being able to function in a constant state of change calls for an ability to accept new situations and to actively develop the workplace community’s ways of doing things.
The University of Eastern Finland has been implementing an action programme on workplace well-being since the beginning of 2017. The objectives of the programme are to:
- to improve the working environment in order to maintain the work ability of the staff;
- to prevent physical and mental adverse health effects resulting from work and the workplace; and
- to promote effectiveness at work.
The programme is rooted in the idea that through its operating culture, it is possible for the university to promote the well-being of its staff while also promoting its own success. The programme is being jointly implemented by the senior management, immediate supervisors and employees.
The practical measures of the programme include:
- Acknowledging good performance and thanking for it
- Encouraging recovery
- Managing problem and crisis situation