The applicants must, before requesting for ethical review, read and commit to guidelines The ethical principles of research with human participants and ethical review in the human sciences in Finland . These guidelines will be in force since 1 October 2019. UEF Committee of Research Ethics follows these guidelines in the evaluation.
The request for a statement with the required appendices should be submitted by email as one PDF file (preferably in text-format, not scanned) to the address: email@example.com. The request should be sent according to the deadlines set by the Committee.
The person in charge of the study (for a doctoral dissertation research, the supervisor acts as the person in charge of the study) has to sign:
- the request for statement (item 14.) and
- the mandatory appendix 2. (the assessment of the ethical aspects of the study by the person in charge)
If needed, the signed request for statement with appendices can also be sent by mail to the Secretary of the Committee to the address:
University of Eastern Finland / Mika Saikkonen
The UEF Committee on Research Ethics discusses all requests for statement and the related documents in confidence.
Further information is also available from the Secretary of the Committee (Mika Saikkonen, firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. 050 346 8118) and the Committee members.
In what kind of situations is it needed to make an amendment request for the Committee on Research Ethics, related to a study which has received a supporting statement earlier?
An amendment needs to be presented when:
- a new sub-project will be added to the project
- new research material will be included in the project
If the research is discontinued so that the research subjects may feel uncertainty about their status or about the use of the research data, a notification has to be made to the Ethics Committee.
An amendment is not needed, when:
- changes to the implementation periods of the study occur (e.g. regarding the timetable of the data collection),
- a certain part of the research will not be realised. The appropriate notifications about the changes must however be sent to the Ethics Committee.