I Library with you
We are a multidisciplinary, international, and student-oriented academic library. The teaching, library materials and information environment we provide enable a competence base for the future. The library is an active, participatory partner in continuous learning and research work. We provide the surrounding society with scientific information and competence as the key public academic library in Eastern Finland, an advocate for open science and an expert of scientific publishing.
The high standard of research and education of our university builds a global future and strengthens the vitality of eastern Finland. We foster education and culture by making research-based available to benefit everyone.
- We have the right and freedom to learn, to teach and to do research.
- We are courageous, open, and responsible.
- Our activities are guided by ethicality and Sustainable Development Goals.
III Library’s goals
In 2030, we will be the centre of our university, promoting all the university's strategic goals: research, teaching, continuous learning, multidisciplinarity and open scientific communication. We will be part of the daily life of both the academic community and the citizens. We will support research-based continuous learning. We will actively participate in the development of the European and international academic communities.
IV Library as the supporter of the university's strategic goals
Finding solutions to the complex problems of our changing world calls for an ability to think and combine things in a novel way, especially in the university’s profile areas in research and education (environmental change and sustainable use of natural resources; cultural encounters, mobilities and borders; diversifying learning and
interaction; ageing, lifestyles, and health)
- The information resources provided by the library will support the strategic research areas chosen by the university and create prerequisites for the development of new, emerging research areas.
- The library will offer services for researchers’ data management and
Science for all – a pioneer of open science and science communication
- The library will develop the information services required by evolving research as well as the transparency and openness of university research, together with the rest of the academic community.
- The library will act as an active promoter of open science.
Part of regional and global development –a key agent of interaction in ecosystems
- The library will facilitate encounters between different disciplines and their cooperation.
- The library will act as an equal partner in the academic community.
Modern and renewal-driven learning
Learner-centred university – student-centred and networked learning environments
- The library will give tools for learning, both by providing information resources and by teaching and guiding how to use them.
- The library’s up-to-date information environment will be a central part of the university’s learning environment.
Continuous learning – education that anticipates societal needs
- The library will offer digital services 24/7.
- The library will advise and guide everyone seeking information.
- he library’s teaching and services will develop the skills required by working life.
International expertise – stronger mobility and educational immigration
- The library and library staff will be active participants in the international university cooperation and in the development of the library field.
- The library will offer an access point to take part in Finnish society and to work in
A participatory and inclusive university
Strong sense of community – an academic community characterised by well-being
- The library will be an innovative, participatory workplace that ensures its personnel can develop their competence.
Renewal-driven expertise – motivated staff and recognised strengths
- The library will have the sufficient resources that are a prerequisite for specialist work within the entire university community and the library.
- Recruitment processes will be prepared through strategic cooperation with the staff, while considering the development of the current job descriptions.
- The employees will be provided with the opportunity to maintain their own competence and develop the scope of their own work.
Open interaction and smooth service
- The library will develop its services and competence together with the customers to meet the needs of the evolving university and society.
- The library’s services and the way they are implemented are clear and transparent for everyone.
V Key users and partners
Library's key users are the teachers, students, researchers, and other staff of the University of Eastern Finland.
Other significant user groups include students at the universities of applied sciences, operators of other organisations on the campuses, general public
THE LIBRARY’S most central professional partnership network is the network of university libraries, where it is an active participant. The central partners of the library’s basic operations are the other operators on the campuses.
The library is actively involved in the UEF’s international operations, especially within the field of European higher education.
Other key partners of the library include libraries of the universities of applied sciences, especially those operating in Eastern Finland; other libraries, information services and academic operators in the library field; Ministry of Education and Culture; operator networks of open science.
VI Assessment and monitoring
The realisation of this action plan will be monitored through the chosen indicators. The concrete goals will be set and actions, such as creating projects, will be specified annually.
Strategic development work is a continuous interactive process
- The action plan and its implementation will be discussed in the annual meeting between the library and the university management.
- The library management will monitor the realisation, assessment and updating of the action plan.
- The library’s management group will draw up reports about the implementation of the action plan.
- The persons in charge of monitoring the different measures will report their work to the management group in the annual management review.
- The action PLAN and its realisation will be processed in staff meetings annually.