All applicants should have at least Bachelor's or equivalent degree in an applicable field (e.g., biochemistry, cell biology, molecular biology, bioinformatics, biomedicine) corresponding to at least 3 years' of full‐time academic studies (equivalent of 180 ECTS credit units in the Finnish university system) obtained at an internationally recognized and accredited university or higher education institution (Students with Finnish University of Applied Sciences degree are not electable). The country‐specific regulations are described in University of Eastern Finland webpage http://www.uef.fi/en/web/admissions/country-specific-requirements.
Note that biological, environmental, medical, veterinarian or pharmacy studies, as such, do not give adequate knowledge base to BIOMED MSc studies. For successful study performance, a more comprehensive foundation about biochemistry and gene regulation/function is needed.
The admission is conditional if the degree is not completed by 20th January 2021. The applicant informs the estimated graduation date in the application form. The final deadline to submit the officially certified copy of the Bachelor´s degree certificate (in original language and as translations, if applicable) to the University of Eastern Finland is 6th August 2021. The proof of the completed degree can be submitted together with the confirmation on accepting the offered study placement. If the copy of the official degree certificate does not reach the University of Eastern Finland by the deadline, admission to the Master’s programme will be cancelled. The country‐specific regulations are described in https://www.uef.fi/en/country-specific-requirements
Temporary (provisional) degree certificate
A temporary (provisional) degree certificate is a document issued by an institution to a student who has successfully completed all studies included in the degree and the student has graduated. The temporary degree certificate should include the name of the institution awarding the degree, the date of issue, and the name of the person to whom the degree certificate has been issued and which title/degree the person has been awarded. The country‐specific regulations are described in https://www.uef.fi/en/country-specific-requirements
All application documents should be submitted in Finnish, Swedish or English. Also the copies of the original documents have to be submitted. Translations of educational documents must be 1) issued by the awarding institution or 2) officially certified copy of a translation issued by the awarding institution or 3) translated by an official translator or 4) officially certified copy of a translation made by an official translator. Each page of an official translation must bear the translator’s stamp and/or signature. Official translations must be exact translations of the original documents. Translations done by the applicant him‐ or herself are not accepted. The country‐specific regulations are described in https://www.uef.fi/en/country-specific-requirements
Applicants must demonstrate excellent skills of English language. English language proficiency can be proven with official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), International English Language Testing Service (IELTS), CAE/CPE (Cambridge Advanced/Proficiency Examination) Pearson Test of English (PTE) test score report or National Certificate of Language Proficiency (YKI) -test:
- IELTS (academic): overall 6.5 (min. 6.0 in writing)
- TOEFL iBT: 92 (min. 22 in writing)
- PTE (Pearson Test of English, academic): 62
- Cambridge English Qualification:
C1 Advanced (Certificate of Advanced English) overall score of 180 with min 162 in writing)
C2 Proficiency (Certificate of Proficiency in English) overall score of 180 with min 162 in writing)
- National Certificate of Language Proficiency (YKI) -test: level 5 in the reading comprehension, writing and speaking subtests; website https://www.oph.fi/en/national-certificates-language-proficiency-yki
Applicants will be exempt from submitting the official language proficiency test if:
- Passed English exam in Matriculation Examination in Finland
- English as A1 language as part of International Baccalaureate examination
- Bachelor's, Master's or Doctoral degree was conducted in English language in EU/EEA country* or Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom or United States
- Exchange studies (at least 20 ECTS) completed in English in University of Eastern Finland
* EU countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, and Sweden. EEA countries: Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.
TOEFL code of the University of Eastern Finland is 9779.