All applicants should have at least Bachelor's or equivalent degree in an applicable field (e.g. biomedicine, cell biology, molecular biology, bioinformatics, biochemistry) corresponding to at least 3 years' of full‐time academic studies (equivalent of 180 ECTS credit units in the Finnish university system) obtained at an internationally recognized and accredited university or higher education institution. Applicants having a Bachelor's degree from a Finnish University of Applied Sciences or Polytechnic are not electable.
Note that biological, environmental, medical, veterinarian or pharmacy studies, as such, do not give an adequate knowledge base for biomedicine MSc studies. For a successful study performance, a more comprehensive understanding of the structure and function of the genome is needed.
Your admission is conditional if you apply to UEF with a degree that is not finished during the application period. It is required that the applicants deliver officially certified copies of the final degree certificate and the transcript of records to the programme coordinator by 9 August 2024.
All accepted students need to provide officially certified copies, if they cannot authenticate their degree/transcript electronically when applying. The students will be conditionally accepted until they have provided the certified copies of the educational document (degree certificate and transcript of records). Country specific requirements are in use in the situations when the applicant cannot provide the documents electronically. The last date to send the documents is 9 August 2024.
Your admission is conditional also if you are liable to pay the tuition fee until you have returned the signed Student agreement and have paid the tuition fee by 31 August 2024 at the latest.
Those accepted students who have granted a Finland scholarship must accept the study place and return the signed Scholarship agreement by 3 May 2024 at the latest
In case the applicants do not deliver the documents by the given deadlines, their study right will be cancelled.
All application documents should be submitted in Finnish, Swedish or English. Also the copies of the original documents have to be submitted. Translations of educational documents must be 1) issued by the awarding institution or 2) officially certified copy of a translation issued by the awarding institution or 3) translated by an official translator or 4) officially certified copy of a translation made by an official translator. Each page of an official translation must bear the translator’s stamp and/or signature. Official translations must be exact translations of the original documents. Translations done by the applicant him‐ or herself are not accepted.
Applicants must either (1) meet the language proficiency criteria (see below), or (2) reach the minimum required language test results to be considered eligible to the University of Eastern Finland. No exceptions will be made and no waivers to the language proficiency requirements are given.
1) Applicants who hold one of the following do not have to take an English language test:
- Passed English exam in Matriculation Examination in Finland
- English as A1 language as part of International Baccalaureate examination
- Bachelor's, Master's or Doctoral degree was conducted in English language in EU/EEA country or Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom or United States
- Bachelor's, Master's or Doctoral degree was conducted in English language in our cooperation university, University of Ghana
- Bachelor's, Master's or Doctoral degree was conducted in English language in our cooperation university KNUST (Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology) in Ghana
- Exchange studies (at least 20 ECTS) completed in English in University of Eastern Finland
Online studies or studies completed on offshore campuses outside the accepted countries/area cannot be used to indicate language skills, even if the degree-awarding institution is in one of the accepted countries.
(2) All other applicants have to take one of the following language tests:
- IELTS (academic): overall 6.5 (min. 6.0 in writing)
- TOEFL iBT: 92 (min. 22 in writing) *
- PTE (Pearson Test of English, academic): 62 (min. 54 in writing)
- Cambridge English Qualification:
C1 Advanced (Certificate of Advanced English) overall score C or 180, with min 162 in writing
C2 Proficiency (Certificate of Proficiency in English) overall score level C1 or 180, with min 162 in writing
- National Certificate of Language Proficiency YKI-test: level 5 in all different subtests (reading, comprehension, writing and speaking). It is possible to combine different examinations.
* TOEFL code of the University of Eastern Finland is 9779.
Online studies or studies completed on offshore campuses outside the accepted countries cannot be used to indicate language skills, even if the degree-awarding institution is in one of the accepted countries. If the applicant is applying with one degree and indicating the language skills with another, he/she is required to submit educational documents regarding both degrees. He/she can only indicate the language skills with an incomplete degree if he/she is applying for the studies with the same degree.
TOEFL, IELTS and PTE certificates are valid for two years from the day they are issued, i.e. the language test need to be in effect during the application period, from 3 January 2022 onwards.