Why do we process your personal data?
We process your personal data for the following purposes:
The stakeholder groups of community relations in the University of Eastern Finland include people who contribute to the university’s activities as specialists, partners, guest lecturers, research subjects or in other similar university activity such as alumni relations. Stakeholder groups also include the people who have subscribed to the university newsletter or other communications and those who are being sent sales and marketing communications or needs assessment surveys to public services via various distribution channels. Stakeholder engagement also includes various search engines to our partners, stakeholder groups, and the public interested in research.
Sales, marketing, alumni relations, public relations, communications, attending events, and needs assessment surveys.
Do we use automated decision-making or profiling?
We do not use automated decision-making or profiling.
Why are we allowed to process your personal data?
The processing of personal data is based on the EU General Data Protection Regulation. The more precise legal bases are:
- Data subject’s consent
- Enforcement of contract (in which the data subject is a party), contracts: Subscription, attending an event or a previous customer relationship
- Data controller’s compliance with a statutory obligation. Universities Act (558/2009, section 2)
- A task carried out in the public interest/the exercise of public authority vested in the data controller
- Execution of data controller’s or a third party’s legitimate interests (the legitimate interest in question: Information Society Code [917/2014] chapter 24 on Electronic Direct Marketing and Cookies)
Concerning event attendance, we also process sensitive data (the dietary information can include sensitive data). The exception for the processing of this data is the data subject’s consent.
What personal data do we process?
We process the following data:
- Alumni: name, contact information, degree information, date of birth, professional status, interests.
- Donors: name, personal identity code/Business ID, address, phone number, email, amount and recipient of the donation.
- Attending events: name, contact information, event information, diet.
- Communications: communication with alumni, donors, and partners
- Newsletters and marketing communications: emails
- UEF Connect and similar databases: name, contact information, profession, organizational information, information written by the person themselves, and the contact information of partners
- All the courses organized by the university
How long do we keep your personal data?
Personal data is retained for as long as is required for the service to be executed.
- Donors: data is permanently retained
Where do we get the personal data that is needed?
- From the data subject themselves
- Data of the university staff is transferred from the Human Resources systems (Mepco, Helpnet, and SoleCris)
Transfers of personal data
The diet information is transferred to the caterer when signing up to events. Email addresses collected in needs assessment surveys can be transferred to the marketing of the university’s course selection if the respondent gives their consent.
For public relations and communications, the personal data is available on the public website of the university.
Transfers outside the EU or the EEA and criteria for transfers
Personal data will not be transferred outside the EU or EEA. The UEF website can also be viewed outside the EU and EAA area.
Data Controller is:
University of Eastern Finland
Joensuu: Yliopistokatu 2, PO Box 111, 80101 Joensuu
Kuopio: Yliopistonranta 1, PO Box 1627, 70211 Kuopio
Phone 0294 45 1111 (exchange)
Helena Eronen Data Protection Officer
Learn more about how we protect your personal information.
Read more about the rights of the data subject