Faculty of Science and Forestry
The Faculty of Science and Forestry is one of the four faculties at the University of Eastern Finland. We operate on two campuses, in Joensuu and in Kuopio. The faculty comprises four departments, two schools, and the infrastructural unit SIB Labs.
The mission of the Faculty of Science and Forestry is to provide education and conduct research in natural sciences and forestry which are of a high academic standard and have a strong impact on society.
The faculty educates specialists for the changing world of work in the future and also provides a comprehensive foundation for postgraduate education. Positions for doctoral students become available in the international research environments of our units through our multidisciplinary doctoral degree programmes. In the faculty, it is also possible to complete medical physicist specialisation studies in the form of professional postgraduate education. The faculty's international Master's Degree Programmes are attractive and inviting. The faculty's teaching is being developed through the use of new educational technologies.
Strategic research areas at the faculty
The Faculty of Science and Forestry is a key implementer of the strategy of the University of Eastern Finland in the following top-level international research areas:
- Aerosols, Climate Change and Human Health (Applied Physics, Environmental Science)
- Forests, Global Change and Bioeconomy (Forest Science, Biology)
Advanced-level strong research areas developed by the faculty in line with the strategy of the University of Eastern Finland include
- Photonics – Theory, Materials and Applications (Physics and Mathematics, Chemistry, Computer Science, Biology)
- Translational Cancer Research (Environmental Science)
- Musculoskeletal Disorders (Applied Physics, Physics and Mathematics)
The University of Eastern Finland has identified as emerging research areas in line with its strategy for 2015-2018
- Methods and Applications of Uncertainty Modelling (Applied Physics)
- Aquatic Research in Changing World (Biology, Environmental Science, Applied Physics)
The faculty has itself identified the forest-based bioeconomy as a promising emerging research area.
LUMET // NEWS
- Artificial intelligence predicts treatment effectiveness
- SeeTrue Technologies spins off from UEF and secures significant angel investment
- Desentum wins a 1.9 M€ EU grant for first-in-human clinical trials
- Graphene based nanocarbon films can be used in optical computing
- Lecture series in photonics showcases latest practical applications
LUMET // EVENTS
- 19 Nov Open lecture by Professor Markku Keinänen, UEF: Optical methods, e.g., spectral imaging in plant biology, agriculture and forestry – quality control of wood materials and raw materials in food industry, Joensuu
- 20-21 Nov Professor Jukka Juutilainen honorary seminar: Cores Symposium on Non-Ionizing Radiation Research and Safety, Kuopio
- 21 Nov Open lecture by Dr. Veli-Pekka Leppänen, Nanocomp: Roll-to-roll manufacturing: e.g., back and front lighting for flat portable displays, Joensuu
- 21 Nov Open lecture by Dr. Vadim Kiyko, HyacinthLux Oy: Co_2 laser for glass processing and UV-laser for disinfection, Joensuu
- 22 Nov Dissertation, MSc Kajal Kumari (Environmental Science), Kuopio
- 22 Nov Open lecture by Professor Matthieu Roussey, UEF: Integrated optics: optical sensors, such as ChemiReader. University research towards commercialization, Joensuu
- 22-25 Nov 18th Koli Calling International Conference on Computing Education Research
- 23 Nov Dissertation, MSc Bright Ankudze (Chemistry), Joensuu
- 23 Nov Dissertation, MSc (Agr. and For.) Laith ALRahahleh (Forestry), Joensuu
- 28 Nov Dissertation, MSc John Loewen (Computer Science), Joensuu