Faculty of Science and Forestry
The Faculty of Science and Forestry is one of the four faculties at the University of Eastern Finland. We operate on two campuses, in Joensuu and in Kuopio. The faculty comprises four departments and two schools. Furthermore, there are two operational units belonging to the faculty: Mekrijärvi Research Station in Ilomantsi and the infrastructural unit SIB Labs.
The mission of the Faculty of Science and Forestry is to provide education and conduct research in natural sciences and forestry which are of a high academic standard and have a strong impact on society.
The faculty educates specialists for the changing world of work in the future and also provides a comprehensive foundation for postgraduate education. Positions for doctoral students become available in the international research environments of our units through our multidisciplinary doctoral degree programmes. In the faculty, it is also possible to complete medical physicist specialisation studies in the form of professional postgraduate education. The faculty's international Master's Degree Programmes are attractive and inviting. The faculty's teaching is being developed through the use of new educational technologies.
Strategic research areas at the faculty
The Faculty of Science and Forestry is a key implementer of the strategy of the University of Eastern Finland in the following top-level international research areas:
- Aerosols, Climate Change and Human Health (Applied Physics, Environmental Science)
- Forests, Global Change and Bioeconomy (Forest Science, Biology)
Advanced-level strong research areas developed by the faculty in line with the strategy of the University of Eastern Finland include
- Photonics – Theory, Materials and Applications (Physics and Mathematics, Chemistry, Computer Science, Biology)
- Translational Cancer Research (Environmental Science)
- Musculoskeletal Disorders (Applied Physics, Physics and Mathematics)
The University of Eastern Finland has identified as emerging research areas in line with its strategy for 2015-2018
- Methods and Applications of Uncertainty Modelling (Applied Physics)
- Aquatic Research in Changing World (Biology, Environmental Science, Applied Physics)
The faculty has itself identified the forest-based bioeconomy as a promising emerging research area.
LUMET // NEWS
- ERC Proof of Concept funding for osteoarthritis algorithm developed at UEF
- Academy of Finland grants funding for research into ice cloud formation
- New advances in research into cloud-aerosol interaction
- New spectral eye video database SPEED revolutionises eye-tracking
- Spectral imaging reveals surprisingly much about dental health
Departments and units
- Department of Physics and Mathematics, Joensuu
- Department of Applied Physics, Kuopio
- Department of Chemistry, Joensuu
- School of Forest Sciences, Joensuu
- School of Computing, Joensuu and Kuopio
- Department of Environmental and Biological Sciences, Joensuu and Kuopio
- Mekrijärvi Research Station, Ilomantsi
- SIB Labs infrastructural unit, Kuopio and Joensuu