The University of Eastern Finland engages in close research cooperation with universities, research institutes and companies alike. State research institutes and hospital districts are among the university's key partners. Cooperation is carried out, for example, in
- collaborative research and development projects
- postgraduate and continuing education
- business and innovation activities, and
- joint professorships.
State research institutes as partners
- Geological Survey of Finland,GTK
- Finnish Meteorological Institute, FMI
- Finnish Forest Research Institute, METLA
- Finnish Game and Fisheries Research Institute, FGFRI
- Finnish Environment Institute, SYKE
- National Institute for Health and Welfare, THL
- Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, FIOH
- Technical Research Centre of Finland, VTT
Other important cooperation networks
- Biocenter Finland
- European Forest Institute, EFI
- Joensuu Science Park Ltd.
- Provincial Archives
- Finnish Tourist Board, MEK
- Joint Municipal Authority for Medical and Social Services in North Karelia
- Kuopio University Hospital
- Technopolis Kuopio
- Kuopio Innovation Ltd.
- Business Joensuu
Strategic Centres for Science, Technology and Innovation
The University of Eastern Finland is involved in the operations of the following Strategic Centres for Science, Technology and Innovation, which represent the university's strengths in research:
- Energy and the environment, CLEEN Ltd.
- Forest cluster Ltd.
- Strategic Center for Health and Well-being, SalWe Ltd.
- Information and communication industry and services, DIGILE Ltd.