Past, Space and Environment in Society
Past, Space and Environment in Society Doctoral Programme is organised by the Department of Geographical and Historical Studies. The research mission of the Department of Geographical and Historical Studies is defined as follows: "We conduct research into the use of natural resources, local relations to the environment, welfare and the encounters of cultures in border areas, fringe regions and peripheries, and their social, geographical and historical development dynamics. Accordingly, the doctoral programme explores the past, space as a concept of geography and the environment as a social phenomenon. The disciplines represented in the programme are history, geography and environmental policy. The purpose of the programme is to encourage researchers to cross the boundaries between disciplines on the level of theory formulation, methodology and the themes to be studied. Our programme is bilingual; courses are either in English or in Finnish.
Degrees available in the doctoral programme:
Licentiate in / Doctor of Philosophy: Finnish history, General history, Geography
Licentiate in / Doctor of Social Sciences or Doctor of Philosophy: Human Geography, Environmental Policy
UEF // NEWS
- New insight into microRNA function can give gene therapy a boost
- Nearly 40 years of research into the Saimaa ringed seal
- University of Eastern Finland among the best universities for teaching excellence in Europe
- See you in Ilosaari Lounge!
- Contract signed: European universities join forces to create a new generation of experts