How to apply?
Scientific doctoral education leads to either a doctoral or a licentiate degree.
Who can apply?
According to the Universities Act of Finland (558/2009, Chapter 5, Section 37), eligible for studies leading to a doctoral degree shall be
- a person who has completed an applicable higher university or polytechnic degree
- a person who has completed an applicable education abroad which in the awarding country gives eligibility for corresponding higher education
- a person whom the university judges otherwise to have sufficient knowledge and skills for the studies.
There is no term fee for doctoral education in the University of Eastern Finland.
If you are applying for a doctoral study right in a field of research which has not been the main field of you Master's degree, the faculty may require you to complete supplementary studies to ensure that you are qualified to take part in doctoral studies. Possible supplementary studies are specified when the right to doctoral studies is granted and cannot be included in the doctoral degree.
Selection criteria of Doctoral Programme in Drug Research
Eligible applicants to the Doctoral Programme in Drug Research have completed a Master’s degree in pharmacy, natural sciences or other relevant field or an equivalent studies in medicine or dental science (300 ECTS).
The skills of eligible applicants to any of the doctoral programmes provided by the Faculty of Health Sciences and their commitment to a successful completion of their doctoral studies are assessed according to the following joint criteria, which constitute the admission criteria of the programme:
- quality of the research plan: innovativeness of the research topic, feasibility, clarity and implementation methods of the research plan as well as its suitability to the research profile and strategy of the department, school or unit where the research project is to be carried out;
- funding plan;
- scientific and practical relevance of the research topic;
- evidence of any previous research projects carried out by the applicant, such as working as a researcher
- performance in Master’s studies or corresponding studies
- international orientation and language skills required in the studies
In the selection process, the adequacy of supervision and the special expertise required from the supervisor are also taken into consideration
How to apply?
A doctoral study right is granted as a result of an application in which the applicant suggests supervisors and makes a research plan. Study right to doctoral studies in Finland does not include scholarship or funding. Funding has to be applied for from various sources separately.
How to apply to the doctoral programmes in the Faculty of Health Sciences
Application deadlines are four times per year, 31 August, 30 November, 28 February, and 30 April.
PhD study right grants the right perform PhD studies in the University of Eastern Finland, it is not a funding decision. Please visit the doctoral programme's Guidance to Doctoral Studies >> Funding page to find out about funding opportunities.
Attachments required by the Doctoral programme in Drug research
In addition to the appendices listed in the application form (maximum length of research plan is six pages), the applicants must attach following documents:
- CV (to be be formulated in a way specified by the Doctoral Programme in Drug Research)
- Motivation letter
- Motivation letter is a one page description of the applicant's motivation to carry out PhD studies. In the letter you should describe why you apply to PhD programme and how you see your future after graduation as well as how you expect the doctoral degree to support your plans.
Any applicant who is dissatisfied with the student selections may apply for a written rectification from the Board of Appeal of the University of Eastern Finland. The deadline for making the request for rectification is fourteen (14) days after the applicant has been notified of the decision. The request for rectification must be addressed to the Board of Appeal and delivered to the Registry Office of the University of Eastern Finland within the prescribed deadline. If the request for rectification is delivered after fourteen days, it will not be investigated.