Erasmus training and freemover training
Erasmus training or Freemover training is suitable for non-degree exchange students who intend to do training (e.g. clinical placement, research work) in one of the departments of the University of Eastern Finland. The duration of Erasmus Training or Freemover Training is either one or two semesters (or in some cases a shorter period), but always a minimum of three months. Please note that there is a limited number of training options at the University of Eastern Finland, and departments are not obligated to organise training for the applicants.
Before applying the students have to negotiate the training directly with the department they are interested in. Please also note that Erasmus trainees are not allowed to do regular courses at the University of Eastern Finland.
Recommended application deadlines for training applicants (Please note that these deadlines are followed with the training in Clinical Medicine)
30 April for Autumn Semester (September - December) or full academic year (September - May)
30 September for Spring Semester (January - May)
The application process starts with a nomination email from the partner university to the University of Eastern Finland. Applicants cannot self-nominate, rather study abroad coordinators at partner universities should send an e-mail to the International Mobility Services (to international (at) uef.fi) in which they announce their candidates for student exchange.
After that the applicants receive usernames for the online application tool SoleMOVE. These usernames are sent by email by the UEF International Mobility Services during the application period. After that the students can start applying.
Nominations should include:
1. Student's complete name
2. Date of birth
4. E-mail address
5. Duration of exchange (autumn semester, spring semester or full academic year)
7. Campus choice (Joensuu, Kuopio, Savonlinna)
The recommended deadline for the nominations for the autumn semester and for the full academic year is 15 April and for the spring semester 15 September.
Important! If you have not received an e-mail that contains information on activating your user account, check your junk mail folder.
Activating the user account
When you have received the e-mail containing your username, click the activation link. You can choose your own password. Enter it twice and activate the account. Then you can log in. Do not delete the activation e-mail – it contains your username and the link to the application system. You will need them later.
You will have access to the complete user manual when you have logged in. You will find it in the upper left corner by clicking the question mark.
Application check list
1) Application form - COMPULSORY
- Be sure to choose ‘P – Placement' as the type of exchange. Check the information that is already there, and be careful to spell your name as it appears in your passport. Capitalise the first letter, leave the rest lower case.
2) Official Transcript of Academic Records - COMPULSORY
- A Transcript of Academic Records is your complete academic record with the information on completed courses, grades and credits.
- An English translation of the Transcript of Academic Records is required.
- Application cannot be processed without the transcript because the academic departments of the University of Eastern Finland need to check the applicant's academic background and suitability for the intended training.
- Scan your transcript and upload it as an attachment to your application.
3) Placement agreement/Learning agreement for traineeships - COMPULSORY
- Use the form your university gives you. Complete the form clearly with BLOCK letters or type electronically.
- If you intend to work in a research project, please indicate the name of your supervisor and type of the project.
- The agreement must be signed by the applicant and by the sending institution. When the student is accepted, the agreement will be signed by UEF department.
- Scan the signed agreement (signatures from the applicant and from the sending institution) and upload it as an attachment to your application.
4) A scanned copy of an official ID - COMPULSORY
- Scan the identification page of your passport or other official ID as an attachment to your application.
5) Curriculum Vitae (CV) - COMPULSORY
- Upload your CV as an attachment to your application.
- Letters of reference are optional.
- In order to avoid any delays in the application process, please make sure that you have carefully filled in all sections of the application form, enclosed required documents and collected all necessary signatures.
- Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered.
Submitting the application
You do not have to complete the whole application at once – if you do not have all the information ready, you can save your progress and continue later. Be sure that you have filled in all the necessary information and attached all enclosures before you send your application. It is not possible for you to change anything in your application after you have submitted it.
Submitting the application in SoleMOVE is enough. You do not need to send us a printed copy.
The faculties of the University of Eastern Finland admit the students. After receiving your application, the International Mobility Services will forward it to appropriate academic department. The department then processes the application. Once the International Mobility Services receive an official confirmation of acceptance from the faculty/department, an official admission document is issued and sent to you by e-mail 1-2 months after the application period has ended. Please do not make any definite travel plans or reserve accommodation before you have received the official acceptance.
If you have technical problems with the application tool, send an e-mail to international[at]uef.fi.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the International Mobility Services: international[at]uef.fi.