Tips for doctoral candidates
Before taking the final steps towards your doctoral degree, i.e. publishing your dissertation and defending it in a public examination, it is wise to go through the guidelines given on these pages. The University Library and the editors of the university publication series will be happy to assist you in all matters relating to the publishing of your dissertation. The university's Communications and Media Relations, on the other hand, will assist you with drafting your press release and sending it out to various media. Indeed, the only things you actually have to take care of yourself are the arrangements for the public examination and the post-doctoral party, karonkka.
On Kuopio and Joensuu campuses, information sessions for doctoral candidates are organised twice a year, covering topics such as the final steps towards your doctoral degree and drafting your press release.
Things to take care of before the public examination:
• Set a date and book a venue for the public examination.
• Have your dissertation printed.
• Deliver your dissertation to the University Library for public viewing at least 10 days before the examination.
• Make sure your dissertation is delivered to everyone concerned: to the preliminary examiners, to the departments and schools of your faculty, to your professors, and to the Rector or Academic Rector.
• Send the details of the public examination and your press release to the Communications and Media Relations Office.
• Set a date for taking a photograph with Studio Liisa in Kuopio and with KK-kuva in Joensuu
• Book a catering service to serve coffee at the examination.
• Make the necessary arrangements for your post-doctoral party, karonkka.