Division of duties between the Rector and the Academic Rector of the University of Eastern Finland
The Rector attends to the duties defined in Section 17 of the Universities Act. The duties of the Rector and the Academic Rector are defined in more detail in the university's Administrative Regulations (Sections 4-5 in particular). Furthermore, the following has been decided on the division of duties between the Rector and the Academic Rector of the University of Eastern Finland:
- The Rector is responsible for the University Pharmacy and the Centre for Training and Development, Aducate.
- The Academic Rector is responsible for the Language Centre and the Library.
In addition, the Academic Rector:
- is responsible for the development of research and teaching in accordance with the university's strategy and the objectives set;
- is responsible for the development of international cooperation in the university's research and teaching in accordance with the university's strategy;
- is responsible, together with the faculties, for the coordination of the university's research funding, and is responsible for the achievement of the goals set for the research institute;
- is responsible for the university's innovation strategy and its implementation, and approves the university's patent applications and commercialisation agreements;
- hires, at the proposal of the Faculty Councils, persons to work in the positions of university teachers, clinical instructors, university lecturers and senior researchers which comply with the four-stage career model and which are filled for a period of three years or more;
- hires persons to work in teaching and research positions in the service centres within the Academic Rector's area of responsibility, excluding part-time, fixed-term teaching positions at the Language Centre (former part-time hourly-based teaching);
- hires persons to work directly under the directors of the service centres and independent institutes within the Academic Rector's area of responsibility.