Doctoral Programme in Forests and Bioresources
Doctoral programme in Forests and Bioresources (FORES) is a thematic, multidisciplinary programme covering forests and sustainable use of forests. With a strong international focus, our programme covers all fields of forest sciences and research training for postgraduate students with an interest in the forest-based bioeconomy, renewable resources and biomaterials. With a unique profile at the University of Eastern Finland, ours is the only doctoral programme in Finland focused on forests and renewable resources and biomaterials provided by them.
We have about 80 students and every year about 10 students complete their doctoral studies. The main language of the programme is English.
The degrees available in our programme are Doctor of Science (Agriculture and Forestry), Licentiate of Science (Agriculture and Forestry) with Forest Sciences as the major subject and Doctor of Philosophy with Forest Sciences as the major subject.
The aim of our doctoral programme is to educate researchers and specialists who can work independently and are experts in the areas related to forests and renewable resources and biomaterials. Our graduates have professional and social competences to work in the post doctoral positions which require good scientific skills and skills to search, produce and apply knowledge and scientific research methods. They also have good group working skills and competences to work in international and multicultural environments.
Our graduates will:
- get acquainted with their own field of research and its scientific and social significance and gain skills and knowledge to produce new scientific knowledge and to independently and critically apply scientific research methods
- familiarize with the basic problems and research methods of their own field of research
- gain such knowledge of the general theory of science and of other disciplines relating to their own field of research as enables them to follow developments in them
- know the principles of scientific publication process
- be capable of critical analysis, evaluation and synthesis of new and complex ideas
- have good communication skills and skills to work in the multicultural environment and in the positions which require wide scientific knowledge.
FORES // NEWS
- Improving performance and energy efficiency of biomass supply through machine alteration and organisational redesign
- Opportunities for expansion of the bioenergy industry in Finland
- Curriculum of the University of Eastern Finland's Doctoral School 2019- 2020
- Early Stage Researcher (Doctoral Student) positions, FORES
- Structural shifts, fossil fuel substitution and attainability of climate targets in the Nordic forest-based bioeconomies