How to apply as an exchange student
Exchange students are non-degree students who intend to study at the University of Eastern Finland (Joensuu, Kuopio or Savonlinna campus) for one or two semesters. These students participate in bilateral or international student exchange programmes (e.g. Erasmus, FIRST, Campus Europae, Nordplus/Nordlys, North-South-South, bilateral agreement).
30 April for autumn semester (September - December) or full academic year (September - May) studies
30 September for spring semester (January - May) studies
Please note that it is not possible to apply after the deadlines!
If you are applying for a training in Clinical Medicine, you should follow these deadlines.
The application process starts with a nomination email from the partner university to the University of Eastern Finland. Applicants cannot self-nominate, rather study abroad coordinators at partner universities should send an e-mail to the International Mobility Services (to international (at) uef.fi) in which they announce their candidates for student exchange.
After that the applicants receive usernames for the online application tool SoleMOVE. These usernames are sent by email by the UEF International Mobility Services during the application period. After that the students can start applying.
Nominations should include:
1. Student's complete name
2. Date of birth
4. E-mail address
5. Duration of exchange (autumn semester, spring semester or full academic year)
7. Campus choice (Joensuu, Kuopio, Savonlinna)
The deadline for the nominations for the autumn semester and for the full academic year is 15 April and for the spring semester 15 September.
Important! If you have not received an e-mail that contains information on activating your user account, check your junk mail folder!
Activating the user account
When you have received the e-mail containing your username, click the activation link. You can choose your own password. Enter it twice and activate the account. Then you can log in. Do not delete the activation e-mail – it contains your username and the link to the application system. You will need them later. Please note that the system works best with Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox. Safari is not recommended. You should use the login option 'Local', NOT 'Shibboleth'.
You will have access to the complete user manual you have logged in. You will find it in the upper left corner by clicking the question mark.
Application check list
1) Application form - COMPULSORY
- Complete the form in the online application tool. Check the information that is already there, and be careful to spell your name as it appears in your passport. Capitalise the first letter, leave the rest lower case.
2) Official Transcript of Academic Records - COMPULSORY
- A Transcript of Academic Records is your complete academic record with the information on completed courses, grades and credits.
- An English translation of the Transcript of Academic Records is required.
- Application cannot be processed without the transcript because the academic departments of the University of Eastern Finland need to check the applicant's academic background and suitability for the intended studies.
- Scan your transcript and upload it as an attachment to your application.
- If you have completed a Bachelor's degree earlier, please make sure you attach also the transcript of the Bachelor's studies with your application.
3) Learning agreement - COMPULSORY
Use the form your home university gives you. Complete the learning agreement clearly with BLOCK letters or type electronically.
- The learning agreement must be signed by the applicant and by the home coordinator.
- Please note that your learning agreement will be only provisionally accepted, and you may need to revise it once you arrive in Finland
- Scan the signed learning agreement and upload it as an attachment to your application. Note that even if you list all your courses on the ‘Proposed study plan' tab, you still need an official learning agreement with the required signatures. Also note that having your Learning agreement approved does not mean that you have secured a place on those courses – you need to register for them when you have arrived.
- Information on courses is available in WebOodi at https://weboodi.uef.fi/weboodi/
4) A scanned copy of an official ID - COMPULSORY
- Scan the identification page of your passport or other official ID as an attachment to your application.
5) Other information
- Language tests are NOT required from the students coming from our partner universities.
- Motivation Letter is optional.
- Letters of reference are optional.
- In order to avoid any delays in the application process, please make sure that you have carefully filled in all sections of the application form, enclosed required documents and collected all necessary signatures.
- In some non-Erasmus exchange programmes language tests, motivation letters, reference letters or Skype interviews can be required.
Submitting the application
You do not have to complete the whole application at once – if you do not have all the information ready, you can save your progress and continue later. Be sure that you have filled in all the necessary information and attached all enclosures before you send your application. It is not possible for you to change anything in your application after you have submitted it.
Submitting the application in SoleMOVE is enough. You do not need to send us a printed copy.
The faculties of the University of Eastern Finland admit the students. After receiving your application, the International Mobility Services will forward it to appropriate academic department. The department then processes the application and the proposed learning agreement. Once the International Mobility Services receive an official confirmation of acceptance from the faculty/department, an official admission document is issued and sent to you by e-mail 1-2 months after the application period has ended. Please do not make any definite travel plans or reserve accommodation before you have received the official acceptance.
If you have technical problems with the application tool, send an e-mail to movesupport[at]uef.fi.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the International Mobility Services: international[at]uef.fi.