Avoin yo: Biodiversity.now
- 1.12.2022 - 14.5.2023
- Kampus tai kaupunki:
- Ympäristö- ja luonnontieteet
- Verkko-opetus, Itseopiskelu
- 0 € (alv 0%)
The course consists of five modules and a pre-course part. The contents studied in the course:
- Biodiversity crises and the concept of biodiversity
- Threats to biodiversity
- Protecting biodiversity
- Topical discussions and questions in the field of biodiversity
Each module contains videos, reading materials and exercises. There are different kind of exercises to deepen thinking and to learn multidisciplinary, and quizzes to test knowledge.
Modes of study: Independent online studying 54 hours includes videos, reading materials, exercises and tests. Passing the course requires passing the exercises and tests.
Teaching methods: Online-studying independently.
Study materials: Online material, which includes videos, audios, reading materials and different kind of exercises
This is a Climate University -course.
After completing the course, the student should be able to:
- recognize reasons for the ongoing biodiversity crisis and its consequences to the human society and personal life
- explore own connection to nature and diverse values you assign to it
- recognize a variety of approaches and tools to protect biodiversity, increase biodiversity and promote sustainable use of biodiversity
- apply the issues to own field of studies/work and learn how to be part of the solution
The course is available online between Jan 2nd and May 31st, 2023. More information, the description and timelines of the course can be found from Peppi study guide.
In their studies, open university students must adhere to the same schedules and study modes as degree students.
Application time begins on Dec 1st, 2022 at 9:00 am and closes on May 14th, 2023 at 11:59 pm.
Basic knowledge about biodiversity helps but no previous knowledge is required and the material to refresh your knowledge about the basics is provided in the course.
The course is evaluated on a scale of pass-fail.
This course is free during the 2022-2023 academic year.
For more information on study fees and payment and cancellation terms, please see: Registration, study fees and right to study | University of Eastern Finland (uef.fi). Study right is between Jan 1st, 2023 and July 31st, 2023.
Fees for purchasing/lending literature are not included in the study fee.
If you can’t identify yourself using the Suomi.fi service, please contact our training secretary; their contact information is below.
From the beginning of 2023 we will move into the new Studyinfo. Courses will be added there in the fall.
1) You will receive an automatic email confirmation for a successful registration. After this our training secretary will complete the activation of your study right and will send, within 7 days, instructions on how to begin your studies, in a separate email.
Please read the instructions carefully so that you can begin your studies on time.
2) Activate your UEF user account. Instructions are included in the email sent to you by our training secretary.
3) Complete Digistartti, it will help you to get to know our digital environments and tools. 91% of students who have completed the Digistartti found it helpful. Instructions are included in the email sent to you by our training secretary.
If you don't receive these messages, please check your spam folder.
Training secretary Krista Reiman, email@example.com, tel. +358 50 471 8694
The Open University of the University of Eastern Finland offers extensive study counseling services. You can find more information on our website.