Avoin yliopisto: Societal Perspectives on Translation, seminar or a reading circle/ essay, Joensuu, 2022-2023
- 25.10.2022 - 13.12.2022
- Kampus tai kaupunki:
- Kielet ja viestintä
- Lähiopetus, Itseopiskelu
- 0 € (alv 0%)
Sociology of translation; translation ethics; the role of translation and interpreting in multilingual societies; accessibility of multilingual information and linguistic rights; impact and ethical aspects of translation technology.
1) Seminar or reading circle and essays
3 ECTS: Seminar meetings (16 h), reading research literature (approx. 250 pages) and a learning journal, which the student submits as a reflective essay (approx. 1500 words) at the end of the course. The course requires active attendance in seminar meetings (80%).
5 ECTS: Additionally, the student independently studies research literature (approx. 200 pages) on a specific topic or phenomenon addressed in the seminars and submits a written report (approx. 1000 words).
2) Alternatively independent study: essay. The student studies research literature and writes essays according to the 3 or 5 ECTS requirements. The reading material and essay topics are agreed upon with the teacher.
Sign up for the implementation of 3 credits of the course here in the Study path (option 1 or 2). If you wish to complete 5 credits, please contact our training secretary Satu Maarit (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Get to know the course and its schedules in the Peppi guide (NOTE. opens in a new tab).
Language of tuition in the lecture course is English and reading materials are provided in English. Written assignments can be submitted in English or Finnish.
The students will
- be familiar with the basics of the sociological aspects of translation
- understand the nature of translation as a social activity
- understand the roles and impacts of translation, interpreting and related technology in a multilingual society.
Those interested in the societal role of multilingual communication, translation, interpreting and technology.
Seminar/ reading group Autumn semester, 2nd period (26.10.-14.12.2022).
Independent study: Through academic year, between August 22 and 31 st of July 23.
3 cp: learning journal/essay.
5 cp: learning journal/essay (50%) and independent report (50%).
This course is free during the 2022-2023 academic year.
For more information on study fees and payment and cancellation terms, please see: Registration, study fees and right to study | University of Eastern Finland (uef.fi). Study right for the seminar/ reading group is between Oct 26th and Dec 14th 2022 and for the essay between August 2022, and July 31st, 2023.
Fees for purchasing/lending literature are not covered by the University.
If you can’t identify yourself using the Suomi.fi service, please contact our training secretary; their contact information is below.
On spring semester 2023 we will move into the new Studyinfo. Courses will be added there in the fall.
1) You will receive an automatic email confirmation for a successful registration. After this our training secretary will complete the activation of your study right and will send, within 7 days, instructions on how to begin your studies, in a separate email.
Please read the instructions carefully so that you can begin your studies on time.
2) Activate your UEF user account. Instructions are included in the email sent to you by our training secretary.
3) Complete Digistartti, it will help you to get to know our digital environments and tools. 91% of students who have completed the Digistartti found it helpful. Instructions are included in the email sent to you by our training secretary.
If you don't receive these messages, please check your spam folder.
Questions concerning registration, tudying fees, study rights:
Training secretary Satu Maarit Huuskonen, email@example.com, puh. 050 473 2831.
Questions concerning the study module:
Coordinator Krista Sutinen, firstname.lastname@example.org, puh. 050 564 0498.
The Open University of the University of Eastern Finland offers extensive study counseling services. You can find more information on our website.