Water Chemistry and Microbiology Research Group
The Water Chemistry and Microbiology Research Group at University of Eastern Finland (UEF) is a passionate bunch of individuals united by a common interest of solving the crucial water pollution challenges faced globally. Our experts specialize in water chemistry, water and wastewater treatment technologies and microbiology. We apply the principles of aquatic chemistry and microbiology for developing effective water and wastewater treatment systems to contribute towards a sustainable environment. The research is performed at lab-scale and pilot-scale to optimize the experimental parameters and make the technology a success for the full-scale systems. We are also actively working on the monitoring of microbes in real drinking water distribution systems and wastewater treatment processes.
The ongoing research projects are focusing in the following areas:
- Magnetic nanocomposites for metals and other pollutants removal from water and wastewater
- Bio-nano-composites for safer and cleaner water treatment
- Application of microalgae in wastewater treatment and bioenergy production
- Disinfection of drinking water and wastewater
- Sand filtration for the removal of microbes and nutrients from wastewater
- Microbial composition of drinking water distribution systems
We are also determined to train the future generation scientists and experts in water chemistry, treatment and microbiology. Our team actively contributes to educating undergraduate and graduate students in these areas. Students are welcome to contact our team for Bachelor's- and Master's level projects, and also for possibilities for pursuing Ph.D. in our group.
If you are interested to learn more about our research and/or wish to discuss about possible collaboration projects, feel free to contact us.