Joensuu Summer School on Optics 2019:
eXpeRience your reality
The Summer School eXpeRience your reality teach topics related to virtual and augmented reality glasses from theory to practice. Lectures include VR/AR/MR glass materials, displays, optical design, manufacturing, user interface and applications. In workshops, we are offering participants hands-on approach into design and implementation of VR/AR learning environments, virtualization of production, VR/AR medical applications, eye recognition, SmartLab and much more. The Summer School consists of lectures from experts in the academic field as well as representatives of companies and hands-on workshops.
Where: in Joensuu
Duration: 2 weeks (it is possible to attend only for one week)
Credit points: 5 ECTS (2 weeks) / 2 ECTS (1 week)
Evaluation criteria: pass/fail
Teaching language: English
Level: Master and doctoral students
Course fee: UEF students free of charge. There is a course fee for the participants not registered as degree students at UEF.
Application period: CLOSED
Click here to download practical info and latest program in pdf (updated 19.7.19)
Click here to download speaker info in pdf (updated 19.7.19)
Click here to download latest version of the program (updated 19.7.19)
- Lecture: Irina Livshits (ITMO University) : Optical design in context of VR/AR glasses
- Lecture: Dispelix Juuso Olkkonen: Diffractive waveguides for AR displays, introduction to AR displays, principals of diffractive photoconductor
- Lecture: Steven LaValle (former chief scientist in, e.g., Oculus and Huawei VR/AR/MR): Human perception and its impact on VR/AR products and story of Oculus
- Lecture: Tapani Levola: (founder of waveguide based AR displays (Nokia, Vuzix), former Principal hardware engineer of Microsoft in Hololens project): Amazing optics towards perfect AR displays
- Lecture: Bernard Kress: (Microsoft Hololens) Optical architectures and related technologies to enhance the visual experience and comfort in AR and MR headsets
- Lecture: Roman Bednarik (SeeTrue Technologies & UEF): Eye-movement
tracking: theory, systems and applications
- Lecture: Next Games Riku Suomela (Mixed Reality Director) : AR technology meets game industry
- Lecture: Teemu Tiainen: Design and implementation of AR/VR learning environments
- Lecture: Karelia and University of Eastern Finland: Different manufacturing methods for optical components in AR/VR glasses
- Workshop: Microsurgery Center of Eastern Finland: VR/AR medical applications (Kuopio)
- Workshop: University of Eastern Finland: SmartLab
- Workshop: Karelia: Virtualization of production and business perspective
- Workshop: Riveria: Doing interactive teaching materials with 360 technique and visiting Riveria’s VR/AR learning environments
- Workshop: School of Computing: working in a brand-new AR/VR laboratory
We reserve the right to make changes to the program during spring 2019.
The Summer School is organized in co-operation with: Department of Physics and Mathematics, UEF’s Summer School, Photonics Education in Joensuu –project and Photonics Finland National Cluster. The summer school is funded partly with the support of the European Regional Development Fund.