MSc EF admission requirements
Minimum eligibility criteria
- Bachelor's degree in forestry or related field with good grades issued by an internationally recognised university.
- Good command of English language. TOEFL iBT 90 or IELTS 6.5 or PTE 59.
Application form and enclosures
The on-line application form must be filled in and the required enclosures need to be attached (in pdf format) with the on-line application. At the application state we require only scanned enclosures attached (uploaded) to the application form. Paper copies are not required during the application period. Please see further instructions and how to submit your application documents HERE. The recommendation letters can also be attached with the application or they can be sent by email directly to the MSc EF programme Coordinator, MS. Marjoriitta Möttönen (marjoriitta.mottonen(at)uef.fi) by the referee. Also the recommendation letters need to arrive by the given deadline.
The application enclosures are:
- The original degree certificate (in the original language) and an English, Finnish or Swedish translation of the degree certificate
- The original transcript of records (in the original language) and an English, Finnish or Swedish translation of the transcript of records.
- English language certificate
- Two recommendation letters, use the template provided below
- Curriculum vitae. CV must be presented in chronological order and must not have gaps longer than 12 months during the most recent five years.
- A certificate of residence*
- A copy of your passport
- A passport-size photo of you
In addition, as a part of the admission requirements, in the on-line application form you will be requested to write a motivation letter (max. 1000 characters) and include information about your work experience (max. 500 characters) and international experience (max. 500 characters).
* The place of residence should be verified on the basis of the provision of the documents listed on the PRADO website. The place of residence can be verified for example by:
- a residence certificate issued in accordance with the candidate's municipality normal registration rules;
- a certificate from the candidate's place of work, study or training issued by the employer or institution in question.
Both documents must have been issued within the 12 months prior to the submission deadline of applying.
1. Degree requirements
All applicants should have a bachelor's degree in forest sciences corresponding to at least three years' of full-time academic studies (equivalent to 180 ECTS credit units in the Finnish university system) obtained at an internationally recognised and accredited university or higher education institution.
Temporary (provisional) degree certificate
A temporary (provisional) degree certificate is a document issued by an institution to a student who has successfully completed all studies included in the degree. The student has graduated. The temporary degree certificate is issued as a replacement for the actual degree certificate e.g. in case the actual degree certificate cannot be given to the student immediately after completion of studies due to technical or administrative reasons. The temporary degree certificate should include the name of the institution awarding the degree, the date of issue, and the name of the person to whom the degree certificate has been issued and which title/degree the person has been awarded. A temporary (provisional) degree certificate is accepted if it was awarded no more than five years earlier. The five-year validity period begins from the date on which the degree was conferred and must not expire prior to the application deadline. In other words, a temporary degree certificate is not accepted if it was awarded more than five years ago. In such cases, the applicant must present his or her final degree certificate.
Statement issued by the university
In case, the applicant has not yet received a BSc Degree certificate by the admission deadline, a statement issued by the applicant's university is also accepted as a replacement of the actual degree certificate. This statement should include the name of the institution which is going to award the degree, the expected date of issue (graduation), and the name of the person to whom the degree certificate will be awarded. The final deadline to submit the actual degree certificate to the MSc EF programme coordinator (Ms Marjoriitta Möttönen) is 7August 2020.
2. Language requirements
Applicant must have sufficient English language proficiency. The English language proficiency must be proved by:
• IELTS (Academic): overall 6.5, or
• TOEFL (iBT): 90, or
• PTE: 59.
The English language test is not required from applicants who have conducted
• Bachelor's or master's degree (or higher) in English language, or
• Secondary education in English in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States.
Instead of language test scores, it is required that the above-mentioned candidates enclose in the application a certificate from the university stating that the language of instruction during BSc/MSc studies has been English. Those who have completed their secondary education in the above-mentioned countries must enclose a copy of their transcript in the application.
3. Recommendation letter forms
Recommendation letters must be written by academics from the applicant's previous university. They can be attached with the online application form or they can be sent by email to the MSc EF programme coordinator Ms. Marjoriitta Möttönen (marjoriitta.mottonen(at)uef.fi) by the referee. Please use the letter template below: