Who can apply?
According to the Universities Act of Finland (558/2009, Chapter 5, Section 37), eligible for studies leading to a doctoral degree shall be
• a person who has completed an applicable higher university or polytechnic degree
• a person who has completed an applicable education abroad which in the awarding country gives eligibility for corresponding higher education
• a person whom the university judges otherwise to have sufficient knowledge and skills for the studies.
There is no term fee for doctoral education in the University of Eastern Finland.
If you are applying for a doctoral study right in a field of research which has not been the main field of you Master's degree, the faculty may require you to complete supplementary studies to ensure that you are qualified to take part in doctoral studies. Possible supplementary studies are specified when the right to doctoral studies is granted and cannot be included in the doctoral degree.
Students with suitable background education and a MSc or licentiate degree can be accepted as PhD students in the programme (need for supplementary studies will be assessed on a case-by-case basis).
The previous studies required for the doctoral degree programme are as follows:
|Discipline/field of research||Relevant previous qualifications|
|Photonics||Physics, optics, photonics, technical sciences or another relevant field (with sufficient knowledge of mathematics)|
|Computer science||Computer science, technical sciences, applied mathematics, degrees suitable for educational technology research, statistics|
|Chemistry||Chemistry, technology of chemistry|
|Medical physics and technology||Applied physics, material science, mathematics, informatics or another relevant field|
|Mathematics||Mathematics, applied mathematics|
|Computational physics and inverse problems||Mathematics, physics, computer science, informatics or another relevant field|
Foreign applicants applying to any of the doctoral programmes in the faculty must demonstrate sufficient proficiency in English when submitting their application. The sufficient proficiency can be demonstrated by providing evidence of any of the following:
- PTE (academic): 62
- TOEFL (iBT): 92
- IELTS (academic): 6.5 (overall)
- C1 Advanced (former CAE): 180
- C2 Proficiency (former CPE): 180
- the applicant has completed all prior studies in English. If the applicant has completed the prior studies in English, he/she must attach to the application a statement from the educational institution indicating that the language of instruction was English; or
- the applicant has completed the English test of the Finnish matriculation examination (IB Diploma or English as A1 language); or
- the applicant has completed primary education in English in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States.