Health insurance for incoming international students

EU citizens
All the citizens of the EU countries and Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway and Switzerland should have the European Health Insurance Card when they arrive in Finland. This card gives access to medically necessary public health care during a temporary stay in Finland.  In addition to this card the student needs a travel insurance.

Non-EU citizens
Students from non-EU/EEA countries must have a health insurance and a travel insurance.

A health insurance is a requirement for obtaining a residence permit for studies.  The health insurance must be obtained prior to applying for a residence permit and it must be valid upon entry to Finland.

Students applying for an extension to their residence permit must also have appropriate health insurance. The insurance must be valid throughout the entire stay in Finland.

The insurance deductible may not be more that 300 €. If  you study in Finland less that two years, your insurance must cover medical expenses uo to 100,000 €. If you study in Finland for at least two years, your insurance cover must be up to 30,000 € for medical expenses.

You can choose where to buy your insurance. Here are a few international insurance companies recommended by the Finnish Immigration Service:

AON Students Insurance,
Assurances Courtages et Services, ACS,
International Student Insurance,
Student Insurance Program (SIP),

When you apply for the residence permit, the Finnish Immigration Service will assess each insurance policy and its terms and conditions individually. For more information please see:


NOTE: The right to use Finnish Student Health Service (FSHS/YTHS) does not exclude a student from having to take out the health insurance.