The Institute for Natural Resources, Environment and Society (LYY)
We are a network organization based at the University of Eastern Finland (UEF). Our network combines social and cultural research expertise for application in the analysis of the environment and natural resource uses.
Through our members, we affiliate three faculties at the University: the Philosophical Faculty, the Faculty of Science and Forestry, and the Faculty of Social Sciences and Business Studies. Further institutional cooperation also exists by means of our links with the Finnish Environment Institute (SYKE), the Natural Resources Institute Finland (LUKE), and the European Forest Institute (EFI), all of these organisations also have offices in Joensuu.
The cooperative work of our researcher network spans over a hundred researchers and postgraduate students. This network represents several disciplines including: Environmental policy; Geography; Forest economics and policy; Environmental law; History; Aesthetics; Sociology; Education; and Tourism studies.
Researchers representing LYY Institute area are internationally recognised especially in the following fields:
- climate change, energy and natural resources law
- socially and environmentally responsible mining
- transnational forest and bioenergy governance
- the relationship between forest policy, governance and the development of local communities.
- ecosystem services and people's experiences with them
- forest management practices
- human-animal studies
- sustainable rural communities
Objectives and tasks
The objectives of the Institute are to strengthen multidisciplinary research of the environment and natural resource uses in the social and cultural sciences, as well as to foster international cooperation, especially through networking. We do this by supporting and facilitating:
- multidisciplinary research
- multidisciplinary networking
- researcher training
- internationalisation, especially international cooperation
- the preparation of research projects
- organising of seminars, workshops, and conferences
- responsive discourses with policy makers
- collaboration with research institutes
- dissemination of scientific information
Want to join the LYY mailing list? Send an email to outi.ratamaki(at)uef.fi.