- December 21, 2012. Borders and Life-Stories edited by Tuulikki Kurki and Kirsi Laurén is published. Theme issue Borders and Life-Stories was published in Folklore (EJF) journal. It includes articles written by Tiiu Jaago, Anne Heith, Holger Pötzsch, Saija Kaskinen, Stephen Wolfe, Tiina Suopajärvi, Tuulikki Kurki and Kirsi Laurén. The electronic journal is availabe in: http://www.folklore.ee/folklore/vol52/.
- December 14, 2012. Tuija Saarinen gave a presentation Finnish Yellow Magazine articles as a therapeutic Channel in the conference The Therapetuic Uses of Storytelling, Åbo Akademi.
- December 13, 2012. Kirsi Laurén gave a presentation Cultural Borders in Border Narratives in the Research Colloquium of the Geography, University of Oulu (invited presentation).
- Tuulikki Kurki published an article Kotiseutukoodi in Syrjäseudun idea. Kulttuurianalyysejä Ilomantsista. Toim. Helmi Järviluoma-Mäkelä, Seppo Knuuttila, Anne Logrén, Risto Turunen. SKS, Helsinki, pp.42-49. The article is about written and visual representations of home region at the national borderland which follow a specific code that has roots in culture, politics as well as individual life experiences.
- December 11, 2012, A multicultural reading group had its founding meeting in Joensuu. The reading group focuses on Russian contemporary literature. The Joensuu group is one of three groups of which two function in Russia. The organizers of Joensuu reading group are OK Study Center, WCTB project, and the Regional Library of Joensuu.
- November 15-December 6, 2012 Saija Kaskinen is a guest lecture in the University of Washington (USA).
- November 20, 2012 Tuulikki Kurki gave a lecture "Venäjän Karjalan suomenkielinen kirjallisuus osa 2" (Finnish language literature in the Russian Karelia, part 2") in the Community College of Joensuu Area.
- November 16-17, 2012 Tuija Saarinen gave a presentation "Moving West. Stories and storytelling of crossing the border" in conference "Feministiset tilat ja tulevaisuudet", Naistutkimuspäivät, University of Tampere.
- November 6, 2012 Tuija Saarinen gave a presentation "Масс-медиф о финляндско-советских связях" in the seminar "Познания, University of Petrozavodsk, Russia.
- November 6, 2012 Tuulikki Kurki gave a lecture "Venäjän Karjalan suomenkielinen kirjallisuus osa 1" (Finnish language literature in the Russian Karelia, part 1") in the Community College of Joensuu Area.
- November 2, 2012 Tuulikki Kurki gave a presentation "Amerikansuomalaiset kirjallisuudessa" (American-Finns in Literature") in the seminar "Amerikansuomalaiset Neuvosto-Karjalassa" ("American-Finns in the Soviet Karelia"). The seminar inlcuded speakers from Finland and Russia, and it was held in the North-Karelian Museum in Joensuu.
- October 22, 2012 Mari Ristolainen introduced the film "Born American" (Born American heating the Cold War in the 1980s) in the 3rd Filmborder series in Tromso, Norway. Download the Filmborders programme here.
- Tiiu Jaago published the article One Area, Several Cultural Spaces: Comparative Analysis of Stories as the Bases of Local Identity - Narrative Spaces in a Multicultural City. Cultural Analysis. An interdisciplinary forum on folklore and popular culture. (http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~caforum/)
- Tuija Saarinen gave a presentation "The individual level of Finnish-Russian relationships during the Soviet period in the travelogues of the Finnish maganizes" in congress "In, Out, and In Between: Dynamics of Cultural Borders", Tallinn University, Estonia.
- September 20, 2012 the project organized a seminar "Writing traditions on the borders of literature" (Kirjoittamisen traditiot kirjallisuuden rajoilla). University of Eastern Finland. The language of the seminar was Finnish. From the WCTB project, presentations were given by Kirsi Laurén, Tuija Saarinen, and Tuulikki Kurki. Download the program of the seminar here.
- September 12-15, Tuulikki Kurki and Kirsi Laurén participated in the conference "Borders and Borderlands: Today's Challenges and Tomorrow's Prospects" in Lisbon. Tuulikki gave the presentation "Poetry of the Two Karelias: Literary and Art Spaces at the National Borderland". Kirsi gave the presentation "Facing the otherness and the familiar. Crossing the Finnish-Estonian border". Link to conference's website: http://bordersandborderlands2012.weebly.com/.
- September 5-7, 2012 Tuija Saarinen and Mari Ristolainen participated in Border Aesthetics -conference at the University of Tromso, Norway. Tuija gave presentation "Soviet Union and Soviet Citizen in Finnish Yellow Magazines". Mari gave presentation "Zooming in – Zooming out: Politics of Photographic Aesthetics across Finnish-Russian Borders in the 1930s".Download abstracts here. Download the programme here.
- June 9, 2012 Tuulikki Kurki participated in organizing a seminar Lukijat rajalla (Readers at the Border) in Tuupovaara. The seminar gathered writers, readers, and scholars on both sides of the national border between Finland and Russia. The seminar was organized by OK Studying Center, Maaseudun sivistysliitto, writer association Ukri, Karelian Institute and department of cultural research in UEF. Download the program here.