Neurosurgery, Neurology, and Kuopio Epilepsy Center together make up the NeuroCenter of Kuopio University Hospital, Finland.
KUH Neurosurgery is the sole center serving the Eastern Finnish catchment population and it provides full emergency and elective services (trauma / neurovascular / neuro-oncology / spine / pediatric / functional).
Annually, it conducts 2.200 operations and 4.000 outpatient visits, and some 40% of cases are treated acutely. The neurosurgery staff consists of 11 senior neurosurgeons (including a Professor and three Docents) and five residents specializing in Neurosurgery www.kuopioneurosurgery.fi
- Neurosurgery week after neurology with bedside teaching only
- Log book based and mentored specialization
- European and Scandinavian training course cycles
More detailed information on discipline-specific medical specialist training can be found at the pages of School of Medicine.
- Intracranial Aneurysm Group:
Extensive patient registries and biobanks with national and international research collaboration in molecular biology, phenotype and longterm outcome; saccular intracranial aneurysm (sIA) and subarachnoid hemorrhage (aSAH)
- Normal pressure hydrocephalus (NPH)
- Spine degeneration
- Pre / intraoperative functional brain mapping
- Epilepsy surgery and tumour surgery
- Prognostication and bench marking of neurointensive care in aSAH / and brain trauma