Specialisation in Medical Physics
In the Faculty of Science and Forestry, it is possible to complete medical physicist specialisation studies in the form of professional postgraduate education. The specialisation studies include completion of an academic postgraduate degree, which can be either a licentiate or a doctorate. To apply for the studies, please use the form Application for Doctoral Studies on the UEF Doctoral School website.
Medical physicist examinations
Students may take the medical physicist examination after completing three years of practical training. Students must apply for the right to take the examination from the Education Committee of Medical Physicists (Professor Miika Nieminen, chair, University of Oulu) at least six weeks before the date of the examination. The application must show the completed practical training up to that date (accompanied by a staff register and instructor´s statement of the contents of the practical training) as well as the date on which and place where the radiation safety examination was taken.
Candidates must register for the examination by email at least a month before the date of the exam at kuulustelu(at)uef.fi, and also send a cc copy to Professor Miika Nieminen (miika.nieminen(at)oulu.fi) and Heikki Kuoppala, Chief Academic Officer (heikki.kuoppala(at) oulu.fi).
Contact persons at the University of Eastern Finland
Professor Juha Töyräs, juha.toyras(at)uef.fi, tel. +358 40 355 2026, Melania 328, Kuopio campus
- Member of the national Education Committee of Medical Physicists
- In charge of medical physicists education at the University of Eastern Finland
Kaisa Laitinen, Head of Administration (Student Affairs), kaisa.laitinen(at)uef.fi, tel. +358 50 432 7573, Natura 348, Joensuu campus
- Certificates of competence
- Study guidance
- Finnish Association of Medical Physicists
- International Organization for Medical Physics (IOMP)
- Nordic Association for Clinical Physics (NACP)
- European Federation of Organizations for Medical Physics (EFOMP)
- International Union for Physical and Engineering Sciences in Medicine (UIPESM)
- Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority (STUK)
- National Supervisory Authority for Welfare and Health (Valvira)