You should hold at least a Bachelor 's or equivalent degree in an applicable field to be eligible to apply. Applicable fields include public health, medicine, dentistry and nutrition. Pharmacy, psychology, nursing, midwifery, veterinary medicine, environmental sciences and applicable social sciences are also eligible fields.
A Bachelor 's degree corresponds to at least three years full‐time academic studies (equivalent to 180 ECTS credit units in the Finnish university system) and the degree should have been obtained at an internationally recognised and accredited university or higher education institution (excluding Bachelor`s degrees from either the Universities of applied science or polytechnics). You can apply if you are due to complete your Bachelor´s degree by July 2019.
Proficiency in English
Applicants must demonstrate excellent skills of English language. English language proficiency can be proven with official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), International English Language Testing Service (IELTS), CAE/CPE (Cambridge Advanced/Proficiency Examination) or Pearson Test of English (PTE) test score report:
- IELTS (Academic): overall 6.5 (min. 5.5 in writing)
- TOEFL iBT: 90 (min. 22 in writing)
- TOEFL pBT: 580 (min. 4.0 in writing (TWE))
- PTE (Pearson Test of English): 59
- Cambridge English Qualification:
- B2 First (First Certificate of English) overall score of 176 with min 162 in reading
- C1 Advanced (Certificate of Advanced English) overall score of 176 with min 162 in reading
- C2 Proficiency (Certificate of Proficiency in English) overall score of 180 with min 162 in reading
Applicants will be exempt from submitting the official language proficiency test if:
- Passed English exam in Matriculation Examination in Finland
- English as A1 language as part of International Baccalaureate examination
- Bachelor's, Master's or Doctoral degree was conducted in English language in EU/EEA country* or
- Bachelor's or Master's degree was conducted in English language in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom or United States
- Exchange studies (at least 20 ECTS) completed in English in one of the Nordic Countries (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, or Sweden) or Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the USA
* EU countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and Gibraltar. EEA countries: Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.
Letter of motivation
The Letter of Motivation (maximum 250 words) is a self-produced, independent text describing your readiness and motivation for the programme. You are expected to explain why you should be selected for the programme and how your previous education supports the Master´s studies.
Letters of recommendation
Recommendations from two (2) referees. The referees must be academics (teachers or supervisors) from the university at which you have studied, or a supervisor from your place of employment. Please use the reference letter form Master´s Degree Programme in Public Health (MPH) Reference Form.
The filled and signed letter of recommendation should be sent by each referee in sealed envelope to Annika Männikkö, University of Eastern Finland, Institute of Public Health and Clinical Nutrition, P.O.Box 1627, FI-70211 KUOPIO, FINLAND or by personal email to annika.mannikko(at)uef.fi.