Doctoral Programmes of the Faculty of Health Sciences
- organizes researcher training in a hospital environment (Kuopio University Hospital)
- supports and speeds up the writing process of doctoral dissertations in the field of clinical research
- supports thesis writers in all special responsibility health care units of Kuopio University Hospital
- "a multidisciplinary programme covering drug research and toxicology as a whole. Programme is coordinated by School of Pharmacy in the University of Eastern Finland in collaboration with FinPharmaNet network."
- "an interdisciplinary doctoral training program with the purpose of training researchers as international experts in modern biomedicine. Molecular medicine studies the causes and mechanisms of origin of diseases on a molecular level and strives to find methods to treat and prevent these diseases."
- "...to train international experts in health sciences for demanding national and international positions.Programme is multidisciplinary covering following fields in health sciences: nursing science, public health (incl. ergonomics), epidemiology, sports medicine, geriatrics, occupational health care, general practise, and nutrition (incl. food science)."
The aim of doctoral education is to train doctoral students as future scientists in the field of modern biomedicine. Research fields range from population-based studies to molecular medicine and basic laboratoru sciences to uncover basic mechanisms behind chronic diseases such as Alzheimer disease, cancer, metabolism including type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular diseases. The recruitment criteria include relevant MSc degree in natural sciences, Licenciate of Medicine or Dentistry or other suitable background, a grade of thesis and the academic performance as a whole.
Post-graduate training is arranged in research groups, and the post-graduate students with their supervisors belong to the Doctoral Programs of the Faculty of Health Sciences.
Doctoral programmes (PhD)
Doctoral training in the Unit is organized as a part in the Doctoral Program in Health Sciences. Tradition in doctoral training in the Unit is strong and diverse.
- Doctoral dissertations (2010-2018) can be viewed in the UEF Electronic Publications Service
- The institute's specialists and their publications can be found in the UEF SoleCris research database - SoleCRIS
Doctoral trainees participate in research projects that, dependent on the project and supervision, deal with nutrition and health, chronic disease epidemiology, aging, environmental health, cultural and psychosocial dimensions of health, international and global health, and health services, for instance. Also new innovative research ideas are welcome. The Unit has a number of senior staff, and visiting a publication search engine may prove a practical way to develop a comprehensive view into the many areas of ongoing research. Also visiting the web pages of research projects is recommended. In addition to staff, doctoral trainee supervision is also provided by outside experts, both national and international.
If you become interested in doctoral training possibilities in the Unit of Public Health and Clinical Nutrition, or if you need more information, please contact Professor Tomi-Pekka Tuomainen (doctoral program), Professor Pekka Mäntyselkä (general practice and related fields), or Professor Ursula Schwab (nutrition therapy and related fields). You may, of course, also contact any member of the senior staff in the Unit, or the faculty coordinator of the doctoral programmes, Dr. Riikka Pellinen.
Tomi-Pekka Tuomainen, Professor, epidemiology, tomi-pekka.tuomainen(at)uef.fi, +358 40 355 2956,
Pekka Mäntyselkä, Professor, general practice, pekka.mantyselka(at)uef.fi, +358 50 449 9436
Ursula Schwab, Professor, nutrition therapy, ursula.schwab(at)uef.fi, +358 40 355 2791