We will study:
- How the current forest management should be modified in order to increase forest biomass production in a sustainable and resource-efficient way and optimally adapt to climate change and mitigate it through proper forest management, while considering simultaneously also other ecosystem services and various risks to forests (WP2). In this context, it will be considered especially climatic risks to forests by strong winds, snow extremes and droughts.
- How by developing forest logistics, systems and infrastructure for changing needs of operational environment we can increase in a sustainable way resource-efficient and low-carbon utilization of forest resources and ensure the resource smart feedstock supply for bio-based industries (WP3).
- How by tailored use of forest biomass and novel technological solutions we can increase the resource-efficient production of added-value green chemicals and other end-products from lignocellulose based raw materials, and optimize integrated forest biomass recycling (WP4).
- How we can ensure the sustainability (environment, economic and social) and acceptability over the whole forest production and wood utilization chain, when targeting towards climate-neutral and resource-efficient forest-based bioeconomy (WP5).
- How the changes and outlook of the global and European operational environment and forest products markets and EU policies and other public decisions and actions affect the development potential of Finnish forest-based bioeconomy and strategies needed to utilize this potential (WP6).
FORBIO - Sustainable, climate-neutral and resource-efficient forest-based bioeconomy