A clear need for strengthening forestry education in Kenya has been identified by local and international stakeholders due to increasing demands of sustainable management of natural resources and fast developments of learning technologies. The key objectives of the project are to strengthen the educational capacity and societal role of Univerity of Eldoret in Kenya within the area of sustainable natural resource management by enhancing (a) curricula and subject-specific capacity, (b) pedagogical and ICT capacity, (c) community engagement, and (d) administrative and networking capacity.
The main contributions of the project are:
- Practical aspects of the BSc forestry curriculum are strengthened
- Forestry education curricula at postgraduate level (MSc and PhD) is improved
- Local communities engage with teachers, students and graduates understanding the relevance and importance of forestry and sustainable natural resource management
Primary project partners:
- Department of Forestry and Wood Science, University of Eldoret
- School of Forest Sciences, UEF
- School of Computing, UEF
Associate partners: Arbonaut Ltd., Global Village, Regional Council of North Karelia
HEI-ICI funding instrument of Ministry of Foreign Affairs, 120 000€, 2013-2015.
Dr. Jarkko Suhonen, jarkko.suhonen at uef.fi