Doctoral Programme in Law
The Doctoral Programme in Law of the UEF offers high-standard and interdisciplinary oriented doctoral studies that prepare doctoral students for both academic research career as well as various legal expert tasks in working life. The Doctoral Programme in Law offers the following degrees: Doctor of Law and Doctor of Philosophy. The programme is available in English for both international and Finnish postgraduate students.
UEF Law School’s strategic research areas cover climate, energy and environmental law; empirical legal research; and legal research focusing on welfare related issues. In addition to these research areas, doctoral students can pursue doctoral degree in other disciplines, such as criminal law, administrative law and commercial law.
Current information concerning doctoral studies is available in Yammer.
Current news and events
The next application deadline for the doctoral programme in law is on 28 February 2020. For more information, see admission requirements and applying process
Doctoral researchers’ chit-chat hour, Coordinator’s reception (CORE-hour)
CORE-hour is a virtual meeting point for doctoral candidates. During the meeting we will discuss predetermined and/or topical themes and you can ask any questions related to your studies from the Programme coordinator. CORE is not just a coordinator’s reception hour but also a peer group meeting; an option to meet (virtually) other doctoral candidates and share experiences.
Meetings in English will be organized on Thu 23.1.2020 at 13-14 and on Mon 30.3.2020 at 9-10.
For more information and a link to the meeting, see Yammer group of the Doctoral Programme in Law
Pedagogical training for law teachers
Event calendar of the Doctoral Programme in Law
This calendar includes courses, seminars and other important events or deadlines for the academic year 2019-2020. There are also those courses organized by the UEF Doctoral school that have already been scheduled. At the bottom of the calendar there are hints about useful websites for e.g. research ethics (incl. CV template), data management and career guidance.
- UEF launches joint Master's degree programme in environmental law with the Universities of Uppsala and Tromsø
- New research questions fish stocking obligations
- International climate change study benefits from research method developed at UEF
- Effectiveness of multilateral climate agreements in focus in Joensuu
- EIA law re-design selected as Academy of Finland's key project
- 31 Jan -18 Mar Seminar on International and European Economic Law
- 4 Feb Dissertation LL.M. Husen Tura, Commercial Law, Joensuu
- 18 Feb Dissertation LL.M. Meri-Katriina Pyhäranta, European Law, Joensuu
- 26 Feb Dissertation LL.M. Rasa Engstedt, European Law, Joensuu
- 27-28 Feb Energy Transitions 2020 Conference, Joensuu
- The Study on the Quality of Legislation. Case European Union Legislation
- Free Movement and Energy: The interpretation and application of the free movement provisions in the energy sector by the European Court of Justice
- Greening of agricultural subsidies – Environmental requirements for area-based farm subsidies and the related system for controls and sanctions
- EU-Russia Natural Gas Trade: An Investigation into the Need for Regulatory Reform Following Russia's WTO Accession
- A study of a good tax system and national income taxing right engaging in business activity in Finland