When your thesis is ready and you have taken all requirered courses, it is time for public defense and graduation. Before graduation you need to apply for a printing permission for your thesis. With the same form, your supervisors will propose pre-examiners for your thesis. Instructions for applying the permission and publishing can be found below. Instructions for organizing the defense can found in the Internet pages of the UEF Doctoral School.
Permission for public defense and proposing pre-examiners
Permission for public defense is applied from the Faculty of Health sciences with form (Printing permission), in which the main supervisor and in the doctoral programmes of Clinical Research and Health Sciences also the person in charge of discipline propose two pre-examiners for the thesis.
The defendant should carefully read the publishing instructions and at the time of applying the thesis manuscript should already be edited according to the style sheet of the faculty and it must be checked by the electronic plagiarism detection tool (Turnitin).
Required attachements in the application:
- Thesis manuscript including publications (1 copy)
- Summary of the main findings
- Report of defendants contribution in each publication (confirmed by the signature of the main supervisor)
- A written consent of the first author if not the defendant
- Proposal for pre-examiners (application page 2)
- Main supervisor's and doctoral programme director's free form proposal for the opponent and custos
After the Dean has nominated the pre-examiners, the defendant will send the manuscript to the pre-examiners for exmination.
Forms and links
In order to publish one's thesis in the faculty of health sciences series (Publications of the University of Eastern Finland. Dissertations in Health Sciences) it must be edited according to the Faculty style sheet, language is impeccable and it follows the Faculty publishing instructions.
In the case of an article based thesis containg published articles, articles in or accepted to press, or is based on published articles, the defendant is responsible for aquiring the reprinting permissions from the publisher.
If the article has only been submitted for publication, one must carefully consider whether it should be included in the thesis.
After the pre-examiners have submitted their statemets to the faculty, the Dean makes the decicion on permission for the public defense.
After getting the permission and correcting the manuscript accroding to the pre-examiner's suggestions, the defendant ensures that
- thesis is edited accirding to the faculty style sheet
- language is impeccable
- publishing instructions are obeyed
In the meeting the defendant and the editor will fill in and sign the publishing agreement and thus enter the thesis in the faculty publication series Publications of the University of Eastern Finland. Dissertations in Health Sciences. An adequete time should be reserved from entering to the series to the public defense (at least six weeks) to allow enough time for editing and printing.
In addition, an agreement on electronic publication, will be filled in and signed by the defendant and the editor. All publications in the University publication series will also be publised electronically. After the meeting the defendant will ask libaray's signature on the electronic publishing agreement and asks for the international standard numbers (ISSN and ISBN) from the library (firstname.lastname@example.org) or with an electronic form (link below). The numbers should also be sent to the editor.
- professor Tomi Laitinen (editor-in-chief), Institute of Clinical Medicine, tomi.laitinen(at)uef.fi, tel. 044 711 3279
- professor Hannele Turunen, Department of Nursing Science, hannele.turunen(at)uef.fi, tel. 040 355 2629
- associate professor Tarja Malm, A. I. Virtanen Institute, tarja.malm(at)uef.fi, tel. 050 387 1881
- professor Kai Kaarniranta, Institute of Clinical Medicine, kai.kaarniranta(at)uef.fi, tel. 044 059 3290
- university lecturer Veli-Pekka Ranta, School of Pharmacy, veli-pekka.ranta(at)uef.fi, tel. 040 355 2494
Instructions and forms
- Publishing instructions
- Publishing agreement (intra)
- International standard (ISBN, ISSN) request
- Electronic publishing agreement (intra)
- Article based dissertation
- Paragraph dissertation
- Cover layouts (intra)
The number of copies in the first edition is defined in the publishing agreement.
At the Faculty of Health Sciences, the doctoral candidate covers the costs of:
- the copies for the opponent and the custos
- the copies to be delivered to members of the university (Rector, Academic Rector, Dean, professors representing the doctoral candidate's subject)
- the copies to be put on display at and archived by the UEF Library
(5 copies >> Grano and Juvenes will mail these to the campus library in Snellmania)
- the legal deposit copies for the National Library of Finland
(6 copies >> Grano and Juvenes will mail these to the National Library)
- other possible copies (decided by the doctoral candidate)
The doctoral candidate is responsible for the delivery of the copies, unless otherwise agreed. If the doctoral candidate uses some other printing house than Grano or Juvenes, the doctoral candidate is responsible for delivering all the required copies as defined above.
The thesis can be printed at any printing service when costs are covered by a private person. If university covers the costs, the printing house defined by the university must be used. The doctoral candidate is responsible for the priting process and proof reading.
The above mentioned is a summary of the printing process. The doctoral candidate should carefully read the detailed publication instructions with technical writing instructions. The cover of the thesis is done at the printing house according to the model layouts.
Dissertation printing cost compensation
Faculty of Health sciences compensates dissertation printing costs up to 400€ / dissertation. Compensation is available only when printing is ordered from printing house that University has an agreement with (Grano). As agreed between printing house Grano and Faculty, the defendant should announce when ordering the printing, that an invoice of max. 400€ including VAT, can be sent directly to the Faculty. In case the printing costs are less than 400€, the one invoice can be sent to the Faculty. As a reference, the name of the defendant, date of defense, and code 400010, should be mentioned in the invoice.