Molecular Neurodegeneration //
- We will organize the 2nd FinFTD symposium in Kuopio in the Fall 2019. More information coming up shortly.
- Dorit Hoffmann, PhD, joins our lab as a postdoctoral fellow starting in February 2019.
- Two new MSc students, Sini Sarlin (BSc, biomedicine) and Sonja Korhonen (BSc, pharmacy) joined the lab at the beginning of 2019.
- Tomi Hietanen, 3rd year biomedicine student, started to work on his BSc thesis at the beginning of 2019.
- We were awarded with a research grant from Yrjö Jahnsson Foundation (2019) to investigate the influence of genetic background on FTD. http://www.yjs.fi/blog/myonnetyt-apurahat-29-11-2018/.
See also UEF news in Finnish: https://www.uef.fi/-/yrjo-jahnssonin-saation-hankeapurahat-diabetesintervention-ja-otsalohkodementian-tutkimukseen
- Nadine Huber, MSc, an ESR in the lab, received a research grant from ALS tutkimuksen tuki ry. (ALStuttu; www.alstuttu.org) for her PhD thesis project on the effects of C9orf72 repeat expansion on neurons. Also ESRs Stina Leskelä, MSc, and Hannah Rostalski, MSc, are among awardees of similar grants from ALStuttu in the previous years.
- We received 4-year Academy of Finland Project Funding (2018-2022) for our project “Identification of pathogenic mechanisms and new biomarker and druggable candidates in frontotemporal dementia using patient-derived skin fibroblasts and neurons / Consortium: FiNeFTD”
- We are part of:
- Annakaisa Haapasalo, in collaboration with Research Fellow, Head of the UEF Biomarker Laboratory Sanna-Kaisa Herukka (Institute of Clinical Medicine – Neurology) and Professor Asla Pitkänen (AIVI), received UEF strategic funding for a Proof of Concept (PoC) project “From preclinical markers of neuronal damage to biomarkers for brain diseases” in 2017. Read more: http://www.uef.fi/en/-/yliopisto-rahoittaa-strategisella-rahoituksella-viisi-proof-of-concept-poc-hanketta
- Malm and Haapasalo research groups hosted a workshop on Neuroinflammation as part of SynaNet activities in 2016. Please read more at: http://www.uef.fi/en/-/uef-hosted-synanet-workshop-on-neuroinflammation
- We together with Prof. Anne Remes’s group (UEF/University of Oulu) organized the 1st FinFTD Research Day in April 2016. https://www.uef.fi/fi/web/finftd/current-activities