Molecular Neurodegeneration //
- Annakaisa Haapasalo, in collaboration with Research Fellow, Head of the UEF Biomarker Laboratory Sanna-Kaisa Herukka (Institute of Clinical Medicine – Neurology) and Professor Asla Pitkänen (AIVI), received UEF strategic funding for a Proof of Concept (PoC) project “From preclinical markers of neuronal damage to biomarkers for brain diseases”. Read more: http://www.uef.fi/en/-/yliopisto-rahoittaa-strategisella-rahoituksella-viisi-proof-of-concept-poc-hanketta
Malm and Haapasalo research groups hosted a workshop on Neuroinflammation as part of SynaNet activities. Please read more at: http://www.uef.fi/en/-/uef-hosted-synanet-workshop-on-neuroinflammation
- We have open Master Thesis projects available. Please see more details on AIVI open thesis projects page.
- We have shown that SEPT8, a member of a family of GTP-binding proteins regulating e.g. vesicular trafficking, modulates β-amyloidogenic processing of APP by affecting BACE1 sorting and levels. Read more: Kurkinen KM et al., J Cell Sci. 2016 Jun 1;129(11):2224-38. doi: 10.1242/jcs.185215. Epub 2016 Apr 15.
- Our recent publication shows a novel relationship between Alzheimer’s disease-associated ubiquilin-1 and BACE1 in human Alzheimer's disease brain, in the brain of AD transgenic mice and cell-based models. Read more: Natunen T, Takalo M et al., Neurobiol Dis. 2016 Jan;85:187-205. doi: 10.1016/j.nbd.2015.11.005. Epub 2015 Nov 10.
- We are part of the Finnish FTD Research Network, FinFTD
- We are part of SynaNet, a H2020 consortium on “Neurologic and Psychiatric Disorders: from synapses to networks”
- We are part of GenomMed Doctoral Programme (http://www.uef.fi/en/web/genommed)