CALL FOR PAPERS
Receptive multilingualism: Multilingual resources in service of mutual understanding – REMU 2015 is an international conference addressing the various aspects of comprehension and intelligibility across languages. It addresses the various aspects of comprehension and intelligibility across languages from multiple perspectives, such as linguistics, cognition, pedagogy and language policy. REMU 2015 takes place May 28-29, 2015 at the University of Eastern Finland.
The invited speakers and the titles of their presentations are:
▪ Charlotte Gooskens: Mutual intelligibility of closely related languages in Europe
(University of Groningen, Department of Applied Linguistics, the Netherlands)
▪ Britta Hufeisen: Title to be announced.
(Technische Universität Darmstadt, Institut für Sprach- und Literaturwissenschaft, Germany)
▪ Raphael Berthele: Who understands what, in what language, in what context? Empirical investigations into the linguistic, social, and individual determinants of receptive multilingualism
(University of Fribourg, Institute of Multilingualism, Switzerland)
The Organizing Committee invites original presentations and posters especially on these general issues, including but not limited to:
- Mutual intelligibility across related and unrelated languages – theoretical and methodological issues
- Measuring distances between languages
- Pedagogical approaches to mutual intelligibility
- Social and psychological determinants of mutual intelligibility
- Mutual intelligibility in language policy (in European Union and elsewhere)
The working language of the conference is English. If an abstract is chosen for presentation, the author will be invited to write an article in a refereed publication.
- Presentations by invited speakers
- Presentations by other participants (20 minutes + 10 minutes for discussion)
Abstracts should contain no more than 350 words, including references. The abstracts will be evaluated by the members of the organizing committee.
- Deadline for the abstracts submission: 15th December 2014
- Notification of acceptance: 15th February 2015
- Third Circular (more information about conference fee and registration etc.): 1st April 2015
- Symposium: 28–29 May 2015
The participation fee is 80 € (30 € for students and PhD students).
Research network VIRSU (Finno-Ugric Languages as Target Languages)
Research network REMU (Receptive multilingualism: Mutual intelligibility of closely related language)
Organizing Committee: Pirkko Muikku-Werner (chair), Annekatrin Kaivapalu (vice-chair), Hanna-Ilona Härmävaara, Maria Kok, Maisa Martin, Helka Riionheimo and Håkan Ringbom.